Chapter 39,

Having being unable to take her A1 delf exams due to unavoidable circumstances, Donna is offered a chance to take the exam again, to determine whether she can go to the next level, A2.

Having distracted herself with reading and French movies the past couple days to not think about Cole, she is confident that she will do well.

Lemayian offers to drive her to school, since he is still working as a part time teacher at Alliance. Donna's mother secretly asks a bodyguard to follow her at a distance, worried for her daughter's safety given the turn of events recently.

"You nervous?" Lemayian asks, leading her to the elevator once they get to the institution.

"Depends on what I am to be nervous about." She says, sighing as she looks around her surroundings subconsciously.

You can be with me simply because you want to...

The words echo in her mind over and over again, trying to fight her decision to stay away from him and convince her that he won't be negatively affected by their twisted past.

"Lemayian?" She suddenly calls.

"Yes." He says, giving her his full attention.

"I know you're the last person I should be asking this but..." she pauses, unsure.

"It's okay. You know I'm here for you."

She hesitates, but asks, " Is it foolish of me to make the decision on my own?" She asks. Saying it out loud, she can't help but feel embarrassment wash over her, the words sounding too childish the moment they reach her ears.

He holds his breath, the thought of her still wrapped around Cole not settling well with him.

"Maybe!" He says, nodding slightly. "When two people love each other and they know it, the stupidest mistake they can make is assume that they truly know what the other person really wants, and make a decision based on that."

Lemayian carefully spits out word after word, his voice stable and heavy, as he looks deep into Donna's eyes. She is not a fool to not to make sense of them, to not know his heart still craves for her, despite knowing she no longer feels the same way for him. She holds his overwhelming gaze, not knowing why she feels afraid of looking away.

She manages to when the elevator door stops, the ding bringing her back to her senses.

Lemayian places his hand at the small of her back protectively as they step out, leading her past the students crowding to get in.

On their way out, they run into a familiar face.

Alicia.

She's wearing a blue velvet outfit, a matching crop top and skirt with a pair of heels, her long faux locs running down her back to her waist. Her make up is as flawless as Donna remembers, radiating arrogance from the very first glance.

They lock eyes for a second, as though having a mental battle, before Alicia's eyes follow Lemayian's hand on her waist and climb back to the make eye contact with Donna, a suggestive smirk on her lips.

Donna drops her eyes and turns to walk past the girl, feeling resentful if not hateful towards Alicia.

Lemayian leads her to the library after that, where she is to be supervised quietly by the monsieur as she takes the paper.

After making sure she has all she needs, Lemayian leaves her.

She smiles oftenly as she takes the exam unbeknownst to her, familiar words Cole walked her through popping up here and there. All the moments he felt like he was just pestering her, the moments he read for her, the moments he helped her write, the moments they watched plays in the auditorium flood her brain.