4. Upon The Water's Edge

People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

- Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

The warm zephyrs brushed past the two girls, blowing Lisa's silken locks away from her face and causing it to swirl in small spirals alongside the September breeze.

They were on a rounded hill that oversaw the Han river. The sun was high up in the sky, reflecting across the water's surface so that in the heat of the day it shimmered like stars.

The smell of moss and dirt clung in the air, while the sound of the ruffling wind and occasional squawks of birds broke the fragile silence around them. Lisa stared blissfully at the kite that hovered above her - a red blob that stained the clear baby-blue sky.

Holding the rope that was attached to it with one hand, the girl used her free one to grab the zip-lock bag filled with Jellies.

"Save some for me, you jelly-monster" whined Jennie who laid beside the taller girl. Her arms were crossed underneath her head so that it provided for a decent pillow, while her body went limp against the soft patch of grass. Lethargically staring at the red kite above her, Jennie let out a humble yawn.

"Well, if you want some, get some. I'm not stopping you, and I'm for sure not hogging all of it," Lisa simply replied before following it with a light chuckle. Tearing a Jelly in half with her teeth, she chewed and swallowed before continuing, "Nini, I forgot my cellphone and I promised I'd call my mom to let her know where I'm at."

Jennie sat straight up, smiling serenely as she stared at the red object battling against the violent winds before grabbing her mobile device and giving it to Lisa.

Eyes fixated on the kite, she rubbed her head and as she did so, a wave of self-pity rolled by on the shores of Jennie's heart. Normal eighteen-year-old girls would be lavishing their hair, worrying about trivial matters as to how to style it for the prom next week, whereas Jennie didn't have the fortune to feel what every girl would feel at her age.

She wouldn't get to go to a hairstylist to have her hair primped, she wouldn't be able to fuss over a bad hair-day, wouldn't be able to feel her hair blow in the wind.

Some would say that she was lucky to not be able to worry about trivial matters like hair, and she believed that she was... for the most part, but some days, like this one, she felt out of place and the monster of self-pity would claw its way into her heart.

Jennie waited until her best friend was done talking before asking, "Am I pretty?"

Lisa gave her an incredulous look, her lips lightly curving upward to form an unsure smile. "No," she simply answered.

If Jennie wasn't so consumed by self-sympathy, she would have known that it was a joke, but instead the girl just nodded solemnly.

"No, you're not pretty, you're better than just pretty. Beautiful, stunning, gorgeous, and all the other synonyms that follow after that. Inside and out, you're beautiful. Not all pretty people are beautiful, but all beautiful people are pretty. Being pretty is something that's skin deep, but beauty is much more than that. It's not in the face, it's in the heart. And because of this, it radiates out filling every part of the person with brilliance that makes people stare in awe. 'Pretty' is hollow while 'Beauty' consumes and fills. And Jennie, you've got beautiful written all over you."

The girl smiled. Her best friend always had a way of making her feel better.

"Why do you ask?" Lisa inquired, but seeing Jennie's glossy eyes and the way she was stroking her head already answered her question.