iii

numb your heart's desire

;;

iii

;;

Though Chitanda has yet to make a mistake in her apprenticeship, she feels that she should have made an error by now. Her head has been swimming with nothing but questions since Houtarou gave her the enchanted necklace.

Is the accustomed jewellery the reason she is performing so well in her classes; the secret ingredient behind her success in brewing potions, reciting spells and casting magic?

Does Houtarou know the reason why she wants to master her skills as a witch? Does he know about her curse or Satoshi's need to break his contract? The wizard must have some reason to why he's helping her. Chitanda having a drive is not enough of a reason for Houtarou to perform such a gesture.

She's curious to seek the answers to her countless inquiries. Nothing makes sense and no one around her is reliable. It's time Chitanda sits someone down and make them explain themselves!

When she returns from the cottage, all is quiet. Houtarou is away, having left this morning, and Satoshi is nowhere to be seen.

"Fukube-san?" Chitanda calls up the stairs.

"Yes?" His head peeks from behind the armchair. Chitanda jumps. Satoshi is so skinny that he may as well fuse with the seat.

"Where's Oreki-san?"

"He's currently visiting an old friend. She's a witch that lives at a shrine. It's quite a distance, Houtarou has taken his seven-league boots, he won't be back until dinner time." Satoshi answers, his tone filled with his usual cheer.

Chitanda tilts her head. It appears Houtarou has several enchanted articles of clothing. "Oreki-san leaves the house an awful lot, doesn't he?"

"Indeed, he does," Satoshi answers.

"Has Oreki-san always been like this?" Chitanda asks. "Is this the reason you can't have a civilised discussion with him about your contract?"

Satoshi's wide grin wilts. "This life I'm living isn't bad, Chitanda-san, it's just not the life I want. That's the best way I can phrase it. Houtarou doesn't have the time to hear my complaints. You said it yourself, he's always attending some kind of engagement."

"I did," Chitanda's eyebrows knit together. "But Oreki-san's habit of popping in and out doesn't excuse you avoiding a very important conversation. Have you ever talked to Oreki-san about it?" Chitanda presses on.

"To explain my situation to Houtarou would be difficult. He'd surely fight me on it."

Chitanda frowns. "It's a possibility, but you're not really sure, are you? You've never asked."

"I haven't, but ..." Satoshi doesn't finish his sentence and simply shrugs. "I'm sure you understand. After all, we're the same; trapped and bound by a spell."

Satoshi crosses his arms, and Chitanda has been around him long enough to know that Satoshi has gone into a defensive mode.

Chitanda sighs inwardly.

"Who is the witch Oreki-san is visiting?" Chitanda asks when she feels their silence trudge on.

"Kaho Juumonji-san." Satoshi uncrosses his arms, glad at the change in topic. "She specialises in fortune-telling, seeing her is like getting a cheat sheet."

"What makes you say that?"

"Houtarou is a good-natured person, but he can be very lazy and will do just about anything to avoid any real responsibilities."