29: Matcha

After watching all three High School Musical movies and promising we'd always be Wildcats, we decided to call it a night

After watching all three High School Musical movies and promising we'd always be Wildcats, we decided to call it a night. Olivia offered to drive Alex and me home but the boy used his trademark puppy eyes to convince us to sleep together. Not in the way it would sound to Christopher's dirty mind. Olivia's bed is bigger than a double one and so we slept there. That is, after Alex stopped twirling around and tickling our sides.

I woke up early the next morning, thanks to Alex. He was whining about Olivia's snoring, which I wouldn't have noticed if he hadn't yelled in my ear about it. I didn't mind much, however, because we ended up going to Caravel for breakfast, and took Charlie and Gregory with us much to Olivia's disappointment.

While we were laughing and stealing each other's food, a sudden thought hit me: Kal is alone. Sure, Alex is hurt and will need time to heal, especially after I tell him the truth, but at least he has people to help him through it. Kal lost his people. All he has is me, and I'm not exactly his best friend.

Still, I suppose I'm better than nothing, which is why I'm now knocking on his door, smiling at the thought the matcha pancakes I brought him will cheer him up. A smirking Christopher opens up. The boy doesn't move an inch. He just stands there, creepy and making Kal sound completely rational for saying he wants to kill him.

"May I come in, good sir?" I ask in a mocking voice but his smile doesn't drop.

"You brought breakfast," he replies and his smile grows wider.

I wince. "It's for Kal, actually."

He nods. "And you attacked me for shipping you two."

I fight the urge to roll my eyes. "You're being annoying. Can you please step aside?"

Christopher shakes his head and leaves. "Kal is in his room," he shouts.

A sigh escapes my lips. He was probably up until late, reading books with Kate and judging the villain's redemption arcs or the hotness of the main character. I knock on his door but I get no reply.

Yup, he's still fast asleep.

Do I leave? Do I walk in anyway? Are we in the waking-one-another-up stage yet? He showed up at my window when we weren't even friends. I mean, real friends. That has to give me the freedom to walk in without knocking, right? It's not like he's naked in there.

Shrugging, I push the door open and the sight I'm met with isn't something I would ever expect.Kal is sitting on the floor, hugging his legs and hiding his face on his knees. His thumb is running up and down that part he had injured. He doesn't seem to be aware I'm in here, not even when I close the door behind me.

I throw the food on his desk and crouch down next to him. "Kal? Are you okay?"

The boy doesn't say anything. He doesn't have to. I can hear his quiet sniffles and I can see his shoulders shaking.