Chapter 22

Rose

I only gave the woman a quick glance before I turned my back and rested my arms on the railing above the lake. I was close enough to hear what they were saying, but I didn't care.

"I can't believe it's you. How long has it been since we last met? Three years? How's your sister? Last I heard she joined you in the business. I always admired how close you two were." I heard her say. Marco remained silent. She kept asking him questions about his family and things I didn't understand. She must know him very well. Maybe they were friends or something more? It didn't matter anyway. Ready to move a little further because it felt wrong to eavesdrop, something she said stopped me.

"I never got to practice law but I found myself a very successful lawyer. We got engaged recently and I'm so happy. I met him three years ago. I was so lucky. He had gotten out of a long relationship and I was still heartbroken from ending things with Jim. Do you remember Jim? That asshole. So it was perfect timing. Jack is the sweetest." On hearing his name I resisted the urge to turn around and face her. Maybe it was just a coincidence.

"Really? Congratulations. How did you two meet?" hearing Marco's inquiry was strange. I thought it was rude of him to keep me waiting while wanting all the details from her. I mean he could ask her to get together some other time. We were supposed to have a conversation and he was more interested in gossip?

"I think it was fate actually. I used to hang out in a bar in the city. I had spotted him once or twice but he was always with his friends. I didn't want to intrude so I didn't make the first move. One Saturday night he bought me a drink and one thing led to another and here we are now. He was so heartbroken just like me. But for entirely different reasons. His ex was a boring, cold bitch. She not only had no idea how to please him but she went nuts after a while and dumped him. He was devastated and I was there for him. My in-laws are still fond of her and I can't see why. From what he's told me she was nothing special." She concluded while laughing.

I didn't think it was a coincidence anymore. Jack, the man I thought was the love of my life, had described me to his new fiancé as someone not special who suddenly went crazy and left him? How naïve had I been all this time? To think that he actually respected me for not exposing him to our parents. That those four years had meant something to him too, that he would acknowledge the favor I was doing him when I decided to leave.

With my eyes shut and my hands grabbing the railing so hard that it was almost painful, I tried to remain calm and not turn around. A sense of panic flooded me and it happened again. My mind shut down. I was back to that night, laying on the ground, I could taste the blood on my mouth, my voice couldn't be heard, I could feel my tears running down my cheeks and my heart was ready to burst. No escape. I was caught in a memory so strong that seemed real every fucking time. I couldn't open my eyes or scream.

I don't know how much time had passed and how many times I reminded myself to breathe, but I could finally feel something. Hearing his voice and sensing his presence close to me seemed to work.

"Rose, open your eyes, please. Tell me what to do." I heard him say, but unable to move or speak, I just waited for it to be over.

"I'm right here. Can you hear me? Rose, please." He took my right hand in his, moving closer to me he placed his other hand on my back. When I got my strength back and managed to open my eyes, I hesitated to look at him. I tried to move away from him, but he wrapped both his arms around me and pulled me into a hug.
My tears had stopped, my breathing was slowly returning to normal but my tongue was still tied.
How could I possibly explain my current state? This was not supposed to happen in front of him or anyone else for that matter.

"You scared me. Has anything like this happened to you before? Should I get you to the hospital? Maybe call your parents first? Say something please. I don't know what to do. Does anything hurt?"
Shaking my head no, I broke free from his embrace and sat at the bench. He did the same, his eyes never leaving mine. I swallowed hard before started talking.