Biblichor

(n) The comforting, faint and musty smell of old books; the distinctive fragrance of old books.

It was always her.

It has always been her.

It didn't matter if she was in the kitchen or doing errands, it didn't matter if she was sewing or if she was sorting through the books after he had one of his tantrums, she has always been there by his side. Without him knowing that she even existed.

Or maybe it was exactly that fact that made her feel safe. The fact that he didn't know of her existence because they would have clashed like two meteorites and it would have ended in her not only losing her tongue, but also her head.

Or so she thought.

(Fayre's POV)

A crash woke all of us up from our slumber. Many of the other maids started groaning and complaining, I simply stared at the ceiling, knowing that the crash came from above.

Next to me, I saw a blonde mop of hair getting up as if she was hit by lightning.

    "I am doing chores in the kitchen!" Nia said and sprinted to one of the water buckets to clean herself up. I shook my head and smiled while getting up, too, but far slower than the younger girl. Knowing that I had to run some errands in the village, I wasn't in a hurry. So, I cleaned myself up, too, and got dressed in a simple dress with an apron, and fastened the strings of the corset as much as I could without having any problems breathing properly. I didn't like corsets and still remembered how my brother would laugh at me for having to wear one. But not wearing one would be unproper and would certainly not go unignored by the Prince. And being in the center of his attention was not where I wanted to be.

    "No, I had to clean up the library last week. Please, I do not want to do it again!" complained Abbey. She was a young female with dark hair and blue eyes who simply had to bat her long eyelashes to get what she wanted. As if sensing that I was looking at her while braiding my own hair, she turned to me and pointed at me. "Fayre can do it! She is the fastest and knows how to sort them."

I shook my head while hiding my bright orange hair under a hairband. "No can do, I am going to run some errands."

Abbey threw me a hateful glance before looking back at the head maid. "I can do the errands! Please!"

The head maid grunted. "Sorry, Fayre, but she is right. She did the library last week, so it is indeed your turn." I groaned silently, ignoring the victorious grin on Abbey's face. It wasn't the fact that I had to go to the library that I didn't like, but the fact that the Prince loved to push over the bookshelves when he had one of his tantrums. And it wasn't the fact that he had those tantrums that you couldn't compare with those of a child because, to be honest, they were scaring me a lot and I mostly ran as far as I could when I heard him. It was simply the fact that the works of hundreds of years were getting damaged that made my heart bleed.