Chapter Two

I woke up to pounding on my door. I groaned.

"Alex, wake up! You're not missing your first day!" My mom called out.

"Can't I just go tomorrow?" I asked wearily.

My door flew open. My mom walked into my room and yanked my blanket away. I groaned again, trying to pull the blanket back.

"I'm sorry, but I can't let you shut yourself in here anymore. Summer is over."

I sat up and rubbed my eyes. "Fine."

It's been nearly four months since that night. After speaking to the police, I haven't talked to anyone besides my family since then. Riley missed the rest of the school year. The table where Caleb and I used to eat lunch hasn't been used by anyone else except me.

I haven't left my house since the final bell rang in June. I told my parents that I just needed space. They took me to a therapist for a month, but it didn't make me feel different.

I forced myself to get up. I looked at myself in the mirror. My curly jet black hair looked slightly overgrown. My sister forced me to let her cut my hair last month when it was a mess. My face looks fuller now, and I'm pretty sure I had a growth spurt. My eyes have dark circles around them, mainly because I've been sleeping so little.

I got ready and went downstairs to the kitchen. My dad had already left for work. He works at the elementary school. I met my mom and sister at the dining table. Both of them were already in their work clothes. My mom works as a nurse at the hospital, and my sister, Zoe, works as a sheriff's deputy at the police station.

I made a bowl of cereal and began to eat it at the table. I noticed both Zoe and my mom were staring at me.

"What?" I asked.

"Do you want me to drive you to school today?" Zoe asked in between bites of her toast.

"No, I can just ride my bike there," I dismissed.

The two of them shared a concerned look.

I haven't rode in a car since that night. Actually no, I tried to ride in my parents' car a few days later, but I started panicking and made them pull over. I shuddered at the thought.

My mom touched my shoulder, pursing her lips. "Okay, but if you have any issues today you can call either of us or your father, and we can take you home."

I nodded as I took another spoonful of cereal. My mom headed to work a few minutes after, and Zoe hung back to talk to me.

She cleaned the table and spoke. "I've told you this about a hundred times, but since you're going out again I'm going to tell you again. If you ever need someone to talk to, I'm here."

She looked like she genuinely wanted to help, but there was nothing she could do. She's been working on the investigation for Caleb's death for months. I've been asking her about it almost every day, and she never gives me any answers. I want to know if they have any suspects. I don't want to talk about my feelings.

I sat in silence for a second. "How is the investigation going?"

She pursed her lips. "You know I can't tell you that."

"I don't wanna talk about anything else related to him, then," I said dryly.

She frowned. I got up, slung my bag over my shoulder, and headed for the door.

"Have a good day," she called out.

"You too," I mumbled.

I was frustrated that she couldn't tell me. The answers were so close, I just needed to wait for her to give in. Over the past four months, she still hasn't given me a single clue. She's been supportive and has tried to get me to open up, but I don't want to. I need answers.