Chapter 45: Poor Unfortunate Souls

(Harmony's) POV:

When we make it back to Ariel's grotto, she looks happily at the Prince's pendant.

"This is great, everyone. I know he'll be happy to have this back," Ariel says.

"And just who is this 'he'?" a familiar voice questions.

My body stiffens as I recognize who that voice belongs to. We all turn our attention towards the grotto's entrance to see that it really is none other than King Triton. And from the looks of things, he doesn't seem to be too happy.

"Daddy!" Ariel exclaims, shocked to see him.

"Ariel, you know how dangerous humans are!" King Triton yells.

"Harmony and her father are humans!" Ariel counters back.

"Who both possess Keyblades in order to keep the worlds' in balance. And that is not the point. Is it true you saved a human from drowning?" King Triton questions. "Contact between the human world and the merworld is forbidden! Ariel, you that! Everyone knows that!"

"He would've died!" Ariel exclaims.

"One less human to worry about!" King Triton yells.

"You don't even know him!" Ariel yells back. "Oh, Daddy, you've told me that you don't trust humans. But they can't ALL be as bad as you say. Harmony, her friends, Kratos; they're good people. And I'm--well, I'm going to prove it to you."

"So help me Ariel, I am going to get through to you. And if this is the only way..." King Triton says as his trident begins to glow. "...So be it!"

King Triton then uses his trident to destroy the statue of the prince. Some pieces of the now broken state nearly hits us, but we manage to avoid getting hit from them. Ariel stares at what's left of the statue as her eyes begin to tear up. Heartbroken from what her father just did, she leaves the grotto. The others and I try to catch up with her.

(3rd) POV:

While King Triton is the only one left, a new face soon appears, which happens to be none other than Kratos.

"Was that really necessary?" Kratos questions. "I saw what happened. You took it too far this time."

"She needs to learn that humans are dangerous and are not to be trusted!" King Triton exclaims.

"I'm a human. So is my own daughter and her friends," Kratos points out.

"And I've never held that against you."

"True. But I still think that what you did was uncalled for. Triton, you and I have been friends for a long time now. We are both fathers, trying to do what we think is best for our daughters. But there is such a thing as taking it too far. You can't just force Ariel to understand, especially if you go destroying what is precious to her," Kratos explains, picking up a broken piece of the statue and gently placing it on one of the shelves.

"You don't understand. Ariel is a mermaid, and she's in love with a human!" King Triton argues.

"So? Harmony is a human, and last time I checked, she and Ariel have become great friends. And as far as I can remember, you and I were no different when we were their age, going through our own share of reckless adventures that people told us not to take part in. Look, I know that losing your wife broke your heart, and how much you hate humans for it. But if you don't learn to be at least a little understanding, you'll end up losing your daughter forever, just like Athena," says Kratos. When King Triton stubbornly looks away, Kratos sighs. "I only came to make sure this place was still safe, out of consideration of our friendship, and also to give you advice. But if you're not going to take it, then there's no point in me being here anymore. Till we meet again, old friend."