The Invitation

Julia could stand it no longer. Their wedding was fast approaching but not quite fast enough. She'd decided she had to do something, sooner rather than later. She knew William probably wouldn't acquiesce but she just had to try. Things were getting desperate. She decided to invite him to dinner and excuse her housekeeper early.

The evening was finally here and Julia anxiously awaited William's arrival. The housekeeper had prepared the meal and was waiting to serve. William was late! Julia sat wondering where he could be when she heard the doorbell. She dashed to the door and opened it before the housekeeper had even emerged from the kitchen door. "William, where have you been? Dinner was ready 15 minutes ago." "I'm sorry Julia" William replied, "I was held up at the stationhouse, I couldn't get away from the Inspector complaining about Mrs. Brackenreid's enthusiasm for the wedding preparations." "Yes, I think we created a monster when we allowed her to take over" said Julia. As William hung up his hat Julia grabbed his hand, "Anyway, you're here now, we'll go straight in to dinner."

Over dinner they chatted about their day and enjoyed each other's company. This is what it would be like every evening once they were married, William looked forward to that. For years he'd dreamed of having a home of his own with Julia by his side. Julia chatted nonchalantly however William noticed she seemed a little disquieted but didn't ask. He was sure she'd reveal what was bothering her when the meal was over. He assumed she didn't want to talk in front of the housekeeper who was flitting between the kitchen and dining room. When dinner was over Julia asked for tea to be served in the parlour then dismissed the housekeeper for the evening. They were finally alone.

William sat on the sofa and Julia sat beside him pouring the tea. The time wasn't right yet, but soon.... William felt Julia's anxiety rise but she obviously wasn't ready to reveal what was bothering her. He could wait, he wasn't really sure he wanted to know, truthfully he was a little concerned about why she'd invited him this evening.

Julia took a deep breath, "William ... I invited you here tonight for a reason." she hesitated, not sure how to continue. "As you know, I've been separated, then widowed, for two years now. Also, as you know, when married you usually engage in...." What on earth was Julia talking about? William looked at her, baffled. "I've persevered William, I really have, but I find I can no longer carry on in this state. I can't think straight and I can't concentrate." It was beginning to dawn on William what Julia was saying, he couldn't believe his ears. "William, I'm not going to beat about the bush," a sharp intake of breath, "I need you to make love to me, tonight, NOW!" "Please don't look at me like that ... William ... SAY something." William looked at Julia wide eyed "I – I don't know what to say.... I ... thought we agreed to wait." "Actually William, I don't believe we've discussed it." William continued to look at Julia then shook his head. "Julia, I'm sorry, you're right, I just assumed. Of course, you have needs, how could I be so selfish."

Julia took William's face in her hands and stroked his cheek, leaned in and kissed him gently then with passion as he pulled her into him deepening the kiss. It had been so long since William had allowed himself to let go, he wasn't sure he could, but he could try. Julia made a move to take off his jacket, he allowed her to slip it off his shoulders and down his arms. She undid his vest and slipped that off too, taking his suspenders with it. He kissed her again, this time moving down to her neck then pulling on her ear with his lips. He felt her tug on his collar and take hold of his tie in both hands and before he could move she pulled it loose and undid his collar stud. The dam broke and all his pent up emotions flooded out. He took her in his arms and kissed her deeply whilst undoing the buttons of her blouse, slipping it off in one deft move. Next he undid her skirt and slipping his hand under the waistband started to undo the laces of her corset. Oh how he'd longed to feel her body next to his without the barrier of this most devilish of garments. A garment designed to shape and yet hide a woman's body. A garment he longed to see her in yet take pleasure in removing. Slowly undoing the laces one row at a time, anticipating the moment when her body was finally released and he could see and feel the real Julia beneath.

Julia was startled at the dexterity of someone that, as far as she knew, had never known a woman and had never had reason to so purposefully remove a woman's clothing. Perhaps William wasn't the man she thought she knew. Maybe he really had been restraining himself all those years. She knew he was a man of deep emotion even though he didn't always show it and never discussed it, she'd always thought he was also pious enough to have never indulged himself, keeping both mind and body in check. Perhaps she was in for a pleasant surprise....