Break a Leg

When Mason Connelly saw the flier advertising bay tours, he thought he'd found a way off the pier. But that flier failed to mention that the last boat left at four o'clock.

Uttering a string of words that he hadn't been able to say since being committed to Maplethorn, Mason turned back into the crowd. He fought his way to the dock's entrance, where Keegan Kinsler stood waving his arms and shouting Mason's name.

"How the hell can he see me?" Mason wondered silently. He weighed the possibility that Keegan might be bluffing and considered making a run for the exit. But rather than risk becoming Kinsler's puppet, he retreated into the crowd—not stopping until he reached the ticket shack. He glared at the shuttered window until an idea tugged his mouth into a crooked smile.

Closing his eyes, Mason pictured the red-roofed building engulfed in a swirling curtain of yellow fire. Inside his mind, plumes of black smoke poured from the windows and billowed into the pale blue sky.

A shrill scream pierced the air, and when Mason opened his eyes, everyone around him could see the imaginary fire. Despite the absence of noise or heat, people began shoving their way toward the exit. Mason leaped into the surging mass of knees and elbows, letting the momentum of the crowd carry him past Keegan and into the park.

At the top of the staircase, frightened victims quickly transformed into curious gawkers. One by one, they stopped, turned, and practically climbed on top of each other to get a look at the fire that wasn't there anymore.

"Did you see it?" Mason heard someone ask. "The donut shop burned down!"

Another voice proclaimed, "I heard a boat crashed into the dock," while others spread rumors of terrorists with bombs.

Mason just smiled, muttered a polite "Excuse me," and began shuffling his way toward the main gate without bothering to disguise himself. Unfortunately for him, stories of the fire continued to draw curious onlookers, and the crowd was growing faster than he could walk. He had to change directions so many times that he was no longer sure which way he was heading.

Finally, he saw a break ahead. A six-foot penguin was dancing in a circle and waving awkwardly at everyone who passed by. Most chose to avoid the bird, but Mason decided to use the oasis of relative calm as his exit.

When it saw him, the penguin spread its nylon wings, looking like some cartoonish basketball mascot trying to block a shot. "Hey, man," the voice inside the costume said. "Want a snow cone?"

Mason's thick features puckered with indignation. "What?"

The mascot lowered its felt-covered head and charged. The wings ripped from the suit as Liam hooked his arms around Mason's waist and used his weight to drag the larger boy to the ground.

•  •  •

Overhead, Cam and Tober made a slow circle above the mass of people milling around outside the dock's entrance. "Do you have any idea which way Connelly went?" Cam asked.

"There!" Tober shouted.

"Where?" Cam could no longer hide his annoyance. "I can't see where you're pointing."

"I'm pointing at the penguin beating up the guy in the yellow shirt," Tober drawled.

Looking down, Cam saw an opening in the crowd. People fled as a large penguin tackled Mason Connelly. Soon the penguin was on top, and the costume's head came off. "Holy crap!" Cam exclaimed. "That's Burke!"

Tober was laughing so hard Cam was worried he was going to fall off. "Please tell me your phone has a camera!"

"It does," Cam confirmed. "Hang on. I'm going to get us in closer."