Prologue

"You're concerned that the federal government will declare this a national security issue, seize your research, and shut down your program."

Dr. Mary Bensen glared at a spot on the beige conference room wall, refusing to look at her attorney. "Yes," she answered coldly.

"We're here today to prevent that from happening," Mrs. Lashton continued. "I believe I can secure a deal that will not only allow you to continue your research but compensate you and your husband handsomely as well."

"Give me a number," the doctor commanded.

"I want to start the negotiations at five billion."

"But if they can just take our research..."

"It's in everyone's best interest to cooperate," Niharika explained patiently. "And five billion is nothing to these people."

"What about my son?" the man seated at the far end of the table asked.

"Assuming you help us—serve as our liaison in brokering the deal—we can have him extracted," Mrs. Lashton offered. "We'll require his cooperation, but he'll still have a certain amount of freedom."

"Going to need some more details, Niha."

"I foresee him taking on a leadership role if the program develops the way we hope," she said, sounding upbeat. "Perhaps he could be involved in training new candidates? He certainly has the experience."

David Drexler nodded. "I like the sound of that."