8

Keppler wasted no time in heading home, following the familiar twists and turns of the familiar rocky shoal like he had many times before. Not many tetras left the village walls- it was strictly advised against by the elders, but it wasn't forbidden. Ever since he was a kid he had an interest in exploring, in seeing what was out there. The fact that his kind was among some of the smallest mer species deterred most of the others from leaving their communal bubble of safety, but it had only ever intrigued him.

Oscar didn't say a single thing on their trip back to the village. Not a 'where did you go', not a 'welcome back', not even a 'you're an idiot'. It wasn't unusual for him not to speak much, unless the two were fighting, but his silence now was a little off-putting to Keppler. He kept stealing glances over at the brooding mer, who only looked dead ahead with his usual scowl as they swam.

"I assume you're heading to the healers first?" Oscar eventually broke the stifling silence, still not looking his way. The outskirts of home was just around the corner.

"Yeah.." Keppler nodded, voice drenched in concern. He knew that as soon as he got back he would be in trouble for leaving, but more importantly he worried that the elders would say no to letting Cory in. They had a strict policy against dangerous outsiders, but travelers had stopped by a couple of times before so hopefully they could make an exception once more.

"If that's enough for you, I'm taking the rest to the elders." Oscar said, finally looking over to Keppler.

The brunet met his flat expression, and he glanced down to the armfuls of moss they were each currently carrying. There was definitely a lot of it- what he had right now was likely more than enough to help heal his sister, and maybe even some of the other patients if there are any.

"It should be fine but... shouldn't we just give it all to the healers..?" He asked hesitantly, wondering what use it would serve sitting there instead of being repurposed.

"Eventually, yeah." Oscar rolled his eyes. "But they'll probably want to see it too. Not to mention I have to tell them about your 'glorious return', and warn them about our upcoming intruder."

Keppler's eyes widened, wishing he could be two places at once. He wanted so badly to go to his sister's side, but also wanted to be the one to break the news to the elders and ask for their permission. If Oscar were to go, he'd probably twist his words and make them think it was a bad idea, before Keppler could even explain!

"I--" Keppler stammered, trying to not let the older mer get under his skin. He didn't have time to argue, damn it!

"Fine, tell them whatever!" Keppler sighed in frustration. The elders weren't quick to pick sides, so maybe they'd hear him out too and reconsider?

He held onto that hope as he sped away faster than before, leaving Oscar behind. His sister took priority.

--

Unsurprisingly, racing through the passages of his home with an armful of glowing moss after being gone for days didn't go unnoticed. Many others had noticed him darting by, some even leaving their homes to speak to him, but Keppler only gave them a 'Can't talk!' and headed straight for the little cave at the bottom of the main rock arch. He'd know the way there blindfolded with how much he'd visited his sister.

One of the healers, Grotta, was leaning against the outer wall of the alcove, looking exhausted. She was the older of the two that worked here, having been a healer for all of Keppler's life, and much before it too. Her long silver hair was pulled back into a bun, except for the two strands of hair decorated with beads and glass that blew gently in the current.