Part 2: The end of the begining

Year 1884, the middle of nowhere
                                          ~
      Step...step...step.
      "Whose there!" I pointed my dagger into the dark night.
        "Hello?" A woman's voice called. " My apologize miss, did I frighten you?"
        " Yes, but that's quite alright." I lowered my dagger but I didn't put it back in my waste band.
         The woman's silhouette came into view. "What is a young woman doing in the forest all alone?."
       " I could ask the same you know." I retorted.
        "Indeed. You are freezing. Why don't you come to my home for some warm tea." Her voice sounded familiar to me somehow.
          "Fine." I didn't know exactly where my life was taking me, but it would do good to find somewhere warm. I placed my dagger back in my waste band and followed her.
             She led me to a small cottage in much better shape than the vacant one I had used for shelter.  A lantern hung lit by the door.  The more I searched the woman's face the more I felt she was oddly familiar to me.
             "Come in. Have a seat and I will brew some tea for you."
              I obliged sitting down at a small wooden table.
              "Do you live alone?" I asked her.
              She shook her head. "My husband is away on a business trip. He's a merchant."
               My eyes wandered around the quaint, little home.  I stopped at an interesting looking sword.
            "My, that is quite a treasure." I told the woman.
            She turned and followed my eyes to the sword. "Ah, yes. That is my husband's. It's a katana."
            "How did he acquire it?"
            "He found it on the train. He tried to find the rightful owner but he was from Japan and had already gone back."
"Do you know how to use it?"
The woman laughed. "Actually yes, I do."
" Will you teach me?"
She stopped what she was doing and studied me for a while. "Have we met before?"
"No I'm afraid."
She leaned back. "Vary well, if you want to learn I will teach you."
She set my tea down and sat next to me. I let it warm my hands. The hot tea swirled around the cup and steam came up from it. It reminded me of the serenity I felt back home at Arcane manor. I blew lightly before taking a sip.
"How is it?" She asked.
"It's good. Is it green tea?"
"Yes, it is."
"Excuse me ma'am, but what is your name."
"My name is Alice." She smiled.
My eyes widened. Alice? Alice... my hand maid!

To be continued...

Author: Chloe LaRain
Editor: Elizabeth Joy
Elizabethjoy1120@icloud.com