Chapter 3

My parents, or the imposters I had thought were my parents for upward of twenty years wouldn't think to look in Brooklyn. At least not right off the bat. Talon and I were forbidden to ever venture this way. It infuriated my parents when Talon did anyways when he was old enough to make his own decisions. Growing up my parents preached that people from Brooklyn were classless, worthless people. I hated how judgmental they were of people who didn't have money or wear the right thing or live in the right neighborhood. I played their game anyways. 

Anytime I would come to Brooklyn I would lie and tell them I was going somewhere else. They do know my friend's Stella and Kinsley are from Brooklyn, so that would be the first place they sought out if they did come looking for me here.

I drove down the streets trying to think of where I could stay for a little bit while I formulated a game plan. I didn't have close friends that I could count on like I could with Jacqueline here. 

As I passed a street sign with a familiar name, something dawned on me. The last time I had been to this area was with Talon and his friend, Declan. We spent the day at a local hangout, Down the Hatch, just goofing off and having fun. Talon had made a comment when we were headed home that hadn't really meant much until now.

Talon had said, "Declan's an honest good guy, and if there's ever a time I'm not around, you can count on him. He'll be there waiting. Just give him a call." This was right before he died. Now that I knew a little bit more about my parents and how they were some sort of bad guys, that comment got me thinking. 

I swung my car around quickly and headed for the general direction where I remembered Declan living.

"Hello?" Declan scratched his head, his muscles rippling attractively as he stretched. He was wearing a pair of low slung black sweat pants and a groggy expression. I assumed I'd just woken him up.

"Declan, I'm really sorry to bother you. I'm Talon's sister," Before I could say anything else it registered and he remembered who I was.

"Hey Charlie, come in!" He smiled a little bit dazed, but held the door open and stepped to the side to let me pass.

"I'm really sorry to just stop by like this. I just don't know where else to go right now. I remembered the last time I was here with Talon and he told me if I ever needed anything that I could count on you. I know we don't know each other that well, but I needed somewhere to go." I babbled aimlessly, sure that Declan was going to kick me out because I was acting like certifiably crazy.

"Charlie, I'm glad you came! It's okay, tell me what's going on. Are you in trouble? Is that why you needed somewhere to go?" Declan questioned seriously with a concerned look on his face.

"How much do you know about Talon's situation with our parents before he... Before he died?" I managed to choke out. I always had a hard time bringing up the topic of my brother's death.

"Probably more than you realize," Declan said hesitantly. We both just waited for a second reading the other. 

"I have Talon's old journal with everything else in my car." If he knew what was going on then he would know that Talon would have put it in his journal. Otherwise, he would just think I was crazier than he already thought.

"So you know your parents aren't really your parents and that's why you're here."  Declan was smart enough to gauge the situation and figure out where we both stood. Obviously, he knew more about the situation than me.

"I didn't know where else to go. I don't know anybody else that could help." I restated, not sure what I was supposed to say or do. For some reason, I felt like Declan was going to be able to help me answer some of my questions.

"Charlie, it's okay. I've been expecting you for some time now. Don't worry, I'm here to help you." Declan pulled me into a hug. That gesture just reassured me of my decision to come here. I was trying to hold it all together, but Declan could see that I was struggling with my emotions on the inside.  

"Thank you," I whispered as he gave me a strong hug that radiated confidence.

"First things first, we need to pull your Rover into the garage. It won't just attract the attention of your parents if they happened by, but the junkies love a treasure trove." Declan finally said after a minute of letting me get my thoughts and emotions together.

After Declan pulled the SUV into the parking garage below his apartment he helped me carry all my stuff up. 

"You're going to stay with me until we figure things out, okay Charlie? We'll camp out here as long as we can, but your parents will eventually put the pieces together. When they come looking, we'll move out, but until then the guest room is yours." Declan gently set my bags down on the bed, careful not to break anything inside. 

"I really appreciate it, Declan." I gently unloaded my bags with breakable stuff onto the floor in the small walk-in closet. I hoped that I wouldn't waste my time by unpacking just to have to turn around and flea. I spent the next couple hours settling into my room, setting everything up while Declan made a couple phones behind closed doors.

"Hey, how'd unpacking go?" Declan knocked on my open door, just to make sure I wasn't startled or caught off guard.

"All settled in," I smiled up at him from trolling my friends whose lives were still normal on Instagram. I made sure not to like anything; I knew I had to get off the grid.

"I've been on the phone with a friend. I think he might have more answers for you than I do." He stepped further into the room once he knew the coast was clear. I dropped my phone on the nightstand beside the table and pulled my knees up to my chest, anxiously awaiting to hear what else Declan had to say. "We're going out to Down the Hatch. Be ready in twenty minutes, and I probably don't have to tell you not to wear anything too flashy."

Just as Declan had said, I didn't want to stand out too much, but at the same time I didn't want to look like a junky. I did my makeup clean, with dark smoky eyes and pulled my honey blonde curls out of the elastic that was holding them back. I slipped into a pair of dark wash ripped skinny jeans and a pair of knee high black boots. I pulled a loose grey v-neck t-shirt over my head. I stuffed my ID and twenty bucks into the inside pocket of my black leather jacket. With no time to spare I grabbed my cell phone and rushed to meet Declan by the door.

"You look like you're ready to break Brooklyn in." Declan smiled mischievously eying me up and down while pulling down the back of his white T-shirt to cover something, probably a concealed weapon.

"Wow, are you hitting on me?" I smirked and rolled my eyes. I followed him onto one of those old fashioned warehouse, doors slide up and down instead of left and right elevators.

"Talon told me to watch out for you. He never said I couldn't flirt a little." He winked as he slid the doors shut and we started down to the ground level. Declan's apartment building was three stories tall, but it really was more of a industrial themed townhouse since it only had one official living space and he rented the whole building.

"Come on, we're just going to walk. It's right around the corner. We'll be safe," I gave him am uncertain look, which prompted him to he put his arm around my shoulder and some how guided me to wrap my arm around his lower back. I could feel the cold gun under his jacket. I didn't know if that made me feel better or worse. He set the alarm and locked all the locks on our way out before he started towards the bar.