Chapter 10

"How do you feel Charlie?" Declan asked a couple hours later as we pulled up outside of the safe house. After the conference we had to go back to headquarters to review the footage and audio some of the agents obtained. Everything was finaly approved and finalized. Calls from networks were already pouring in to our 'representatives.' It was amazing how fast our story caught wind. I guess that's what happens when you put stuff on Facebook and Twitter.

"I'm exhausted. I know I didn't really do anything today, but I feel like everything has drained all the energy from me." I lazily crawled out of the car while he shut the garage door.

We were staying in an actual house, which seemed kind of weird to me. I figured an apartment would be easier to keep us hidden in because there would be so many options and plenty of escape routes as well. The small blue house was in a quiet neighborhood just outside of Los Angeles. There were two bedrooms on the inside and was decorated with modern furnishings. It would be perfect for a house to begin a family in.

I walked through the house inspecting all the rooms. It wasn't too big, it wasn't too small. I liked how the kitchen and living room were open to each other so you could be in the kitchen cooking dinner, but still keep an eye on anyone in the living room. The dining room was more secluded which I liked because that meant you wouldn't be sitting at the table trying to catch what the sports reporter was saying about the game. I walked down a small hall off of the living room. The first door on the left was a full size bath and the second door on the left was a guest bedroom with a queen size bed and a TV. The two doors on the right led to the master bedroom with an en suite bathroom. The other door was what seemed to be an office slash training room. Everything you could possibly want in a first home was sitting right in front of me, but these weren't the circumstances.

I guess I had been in family mode a little too long. It was much to early to even begin thinking of settling down and starting a family of my own. I didn't have a serious boyfiend, a college degree, or anything that seemed to matter in the grand scheme of things. I hadn't accomplished anything on my own and I knew I wanted to do that before I ever settled down.

"You did really well out there tonight. I'm very proud of you, Charlie." He came up behind me and hugged me around the waist. He rested his forehead on my shoulder which told me he was tired.

"It means a lot to hear you say that." I admitted to him even though I knew I was letting him get closer and closer. I didn't like when people got too close because that meant they ware capable of hurting me.

"Come on, let's get you to bed. My princess needs her beauty sleep." I blushed at his flirtatious comment but lead him to the master bedroom anyways. "Did I ever tell you how absolutely stunning you look in that dress?"

"You might have mentioned it once or twice, but did I ever tell you how handsome you look in that suit?" I laced my arms around his neck as I turned to face him.

"Actually, I'm not sure if you did. I do have to admit though, it's nice hearing you say it because I was starting to feel neglected." Declan teased and I just scrunched my nose up and made a face that resembled a taunting mouse.

"Thank you for everything, Declan. I don't know where I'd be right now if you hadn't taken me in." I sincerely appreciated everything he had done for me. It was hard to believe that all this had just started a couple days ago.

"Thank you for thinking about me and coming to my apartment." He leaned closer and sweetly kissed my forehand. Then our gazes locked and we drifted into a sweet kiss that made me feel butterflies.

"Good night, Charlie." Declan said as he reluctantly pulled away. 

"You're not sleeping in here with me?" I demanded a little bit childishly. I just assumed that we would both sleep in the master bedroom.