Breakups

Garrett

She snuck up on me. She stole my heart. She made me feel loved, accepted, happy to just be me.

That is... until I showed her what I can do.

She commanded that I kept no secrets from her. She told me she wouldn't freak out, that she wouldn't leave me over it. She lied.

I told her about Lucille, about the shapeshifting, about everything.

Now I'm all alone.

"You freak!!"

"No, Becca...Becca please calm down," I soothe, shifting back into my normal self. "Becca I'm still me."

"Get away!" She screams, shoving me and backing away slowly, not taking her fearful green eyes off of me. "What the hell is wrong with you!?"

Tears prick my eyes and I squeeze them shut tight, remembering when dad and I had the same conversation. "Becca..."

"Don't. Ever. Talk to me. Again!" She snaps, barreling past me and down the corridor, her blonde ponytail swaying back and forth behind her as she goes.

"Becca..." The hushed whisper leaves my lips slowly, like butter, smooth and soft, dissipating in the air the second my mouth closes, as if it was never said at all. I knew I shouldn't have told her. Nobody has ever reacted well to me.

I wouldn't blame her after hearing about my sister, though. Her life was in danger being close to me, and it isn't in my place to command her to continue dating me..

Still. We had been going out for the past three years of boarding school. I'm distraught that she was poised to end it all on just a whim, and over something that's part of me, integrated into my biology. I'm a shapeshifter, it's part of who I am, why couldn't she accept that?!

Two years ago she said she would accept me for anything. She said she would never leave me unless I was abusing her, but even then she said that would never happen. She said she loved me. She lied. She's a liar. A dirty dirty liar. I hate her.

My heartache is slowly pushed out by bitterness, the hatred latching onto me and tearing me apart, carrying my remains into a out of darkness. I can feel the rage building up inside of me, like a time bomb just waiting to explode, building up energy within itself in order to exert a deadly blast.

"Becca," I muttered through clenched teeth, balling my fists balled and my knuckles white. I trusted her, I told her everything, I gave up all my secrets to her. She betrayed me.