(Short Story)

𝐍𝐨𝐭𝐞: 𝐓𝐲𝐩𝐨𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐩𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐥 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐥 𝐞𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐫𝐬 𝐚𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐝.

I clearly remember those last words before he left me. Conrad had a stage four lung cancer. My world went upside down when he decided against any treatment and simply took pills for brain swelling. My heart aches everytime I see him in pain fighting for his life.

We spent doing a bunch of things that he enjoyed, having fun together like there's no tomorrow. We went to his favorite places and cuddled each other in bed.

"Della, having you in my life is the most special gift that god gave to me. Love promise me that no matter what happens you will reach our dreams. If we could only have this life forever, and every moment we've shared for.... My Heart is breathing so fast for this moment in time. I'll find the words for you to say today and everyday that I will always love you."

Next morning he didn't wake up. I was devastated. For the first and only time in my life, I no longer wanted to live. I was so horrified I could hardly stand to view his remains at the funeral home. The absence of his hearty laughter, his warm hugs, his lifting touch, his lovely kisses— all were gone. Life had lost all hope. I almost gave up.

"Joining us here today the most successful physician-in-chief of Doldam Hospital, Della Gregor!"

I snap back to reality and smile to the crowd.

Life is hard without him. But every time I think about it, I just tell myself that it will be for the best of us. I'm still recovering, but I can finally look at the past without the grief of sadness. Life gives you a thousand reasons to break down and cry, but I'm grateful as I've been part of Conrad's life.