part two

"Mum?" Gracie asked you, looking up at you with big eyes, lifting her arms so you could pull her pajama shirt over her head and switch it for a simple white shirt.

"Gracie?" You grinned.

She rolled her eyes dramatically. "Where's daddeh?"

"He's downstairs, baby, but we can't go down yet, not without you wearing your bunny costume."

"Yes!" She called excitedly. "I want to match the easter bunneh!"

You giggled and gestured for her to pull up the leggings you'd already pulled on her legs before going to grab the bunny costume she'd worn last Halloween. It had been a little big so you knew it would fit her perfectly now. There was no reason really to wear a bunny costume for Easter but you had it there so, why not? Also, now you really needed to distract her for a few more minutes while Alex was hiding the easter eggs.

The day before, you'd gone out shopping together while Gracie had stayed with Nick and you'd gotten all sorts of chocolate in colourful wrapping, chocolate eggs and other treats that Gracie liked. At the moment, she was still loving everything to do with bunnies so to add to her collection of bunny toys and plushies she already had from her birthday and Christmas, she would now find an Easter-themed colouring book and a bunny-shaped pillow among the many goodies the Easter bunny was leaving for her right about now while she was changing to match him.

You helped Gracie into the bunny suit and zipped it up for her. "If you get too warm, you take this off though, right?" You reminded her.

It wouldn't have been the first time she would wear something with disregard to her body temperature or that of her surroundings, purely for the aesthetic. You had found her having worn a new glitter sweater all day in kindergarten once when you'd picked her up because she'd been insanely proud of it. She had refused to take it off despite the her teachers and friends telling her how warm it was inside with the heating turned up, no matter that it was snowing outside. But of course, the new present 'daddeh' had brought from one of his trips for her, she had to show it off without missing a single second of wearing it.

She rolled her eyes but nodded and instantly pulled up the hood over her head, making the bunny ears stand upright on her head. "Does it look cool?"

"You're the coolest bunny, darling" you smiled and poked her nose gently.

"Mummeh!" She complained but giggled, scrunching up her nose before hopping off the bed and running toward the staircase.

"Careful!" You called, hurrying after her to make sure she wouldn't slip and fall. As you had lectured her on this quite a few times, she waited for you by the stairs and slowly walked down with you right behind her.

"There's me girls! I were just makin' tea and I 'eard summat" he said. "I fink the easter bunneh's been 'ere!" Alex said when you entered the kitchen.

Gracie's eyes widened and she looked at Alex, completely fascinated. "Daddeh, did you see him?" She asked excitedly.

He shook his head, picking her up into his arms. "Fink I 'ave..." he said, poking her nose like you had before.

She rolled her eyes. "The proper one!" She called. This was of the utmost important for her, a matter more pressing than even daddy's jokes.

"Actualleh..." he said, building suspense. "I saw 'im leave. Or 'er, yeh never kno' if 's a girl bunneh or a boy" he shrugged. "Saw its tail just round the corner when it left."

"Wow" she whispered before squirming for him to let her down so she could start her search.

Alex set her down. "Tha' costume's so precious..." he said to you as he watched her go.