10. Hurt

MASSIVE CONTENT WARNING
IF SEXUAL ASSAULT/ABUSE TRIGGERS YOU DO NOT CONTINUE READING

why'd you only call me when you're high? - arctic monkeys

Waking up was Hell, to say the least. It felt like I had run a marathon the night before or something.

In reality, I was just hurting. That is all I can describe it as. It has never been like this before. It has never stolen entire days from me before like this.

The pain grew in my body like ivy, taking all of sunlight and air from my organs and replacing it with thick coils of pain.

I don't think I could have gotten out of that bed if God herself asked me to. My heart felt like I got stabbed in the chest.

The only things that brought me a small sliver of comfort were a sleeping Aurora next to me on the king-sized bed and Leo and River sitting next to the bed.

"You're awake," River smiled softly while petting my hair.

I nodded trying to hold back the tears forming in my eyes. There was no reason to be crying, I just felt incredibly stupid was all.

River didn't see me as strong and independent as he once did and that killed me on the inside. I wanted to be his equal, I wanted to be respected the way he was. I guess I just wasn't built for that.

"Do you want anything to eat?" River asked me in the same soft tone.

I shook my head no, I knew if I even tried to say a word my voice would shake and tears would stream down my face.

It's been a while since I've felt like this. It felt almost comforting in a really odd way. I was comfortable being sad, I had been sad my whole life and I fell right back into the patterns I used to have. It felt weirdly normal. I didn't feel like I was trying to be anyone anymore.

I wasn't trying to be the pretty popular girl and I wasn't trying to impress River.

"I think you should eat," River tried again, standing up from his chair and sitting on the bed with me.

Leo was silent, I'm sure he had no idea what to say to someone who just had a nervous breakdown. I would have laughed if I wasn't so numb.

"Lolly," River started again, "Please talk to me."

I opened my mouth but shut it again. Words were useless anyway. I didn't want to be spoken to. I turned my back to River and faced Rory.

Childish?

Maybe.

But I don't think it mattered to me. I think aliens could have abducted me at that moment and I wouldn't have even flinched.

"Lolly," River said again, this time in a more scolding manner.

I wanted to scream at him. I wanted to tell him to shut the hell up and leave me alone. But I couldn't, I couldn't find it in my body to form words.