Chapter 11

Hild arrived in Winchester late that morning, while Aethelflaed and her parents were at prayer. Aethelflaed was glad to see her old friend enter the chapel. When prayers were finished, Hild was greeted enthusiastically. The Abbess had always maintained her friendship with Uhtred without sacrificing her reputation in Winchester, likely because she convinced Uhtred to build a place of worship in Coccham. Hild and Father Beocca were Uhtred's tenuous connection to Christianity, and Alfred valued Hild because she may someday bring his best warrior into the church.

And so when Hild explained that she was taking Aethelflaed with her to Coccham, back to her Abbey, Aethelflaed's parents were relieved. They could trust their disgraced daughter to Hild's care.

Aethelflaed bid her family farewell. It was best to leave Winchester quickly, before the news of her divorce had spread. For a brief, painful moment, Aethelflaed wondered if she would ever see her father again. There were whispers that he would not live to see another summer. If Aethelflaed were to follow through on her plan, to choose a life with Erik, she would truly be giving up her father. But Alfred had so little time left. And since her marriage to Aethelred, she had drifted apart from her family, even from her father. None of them seemed to recognize her misery with her cruel husband, or worse, they were indifferent to it. She needed to make her own happiness. She needed to be selfish now.

When she embraced Aelswith, her mother held her tightly and whispered in her ear. "Hild's care is well enough for now, Aethelflaed, but soon we will be wanting you closer to home. There are nunneries in Winchester better suited to a king's daughter. I will send word for you soon."

Aethelflaed did not object, though she vowed to herself that she would be gone from Coccham before her mother sent for her.

By the afternoon, they were on their way: Aethelflaed, Hild, Finan, and Osferth. Aethelflaed's servants and guards stayed behind in Winchester. After all, they belonged to the Mercian estate and to Aethelred; they owed Aethelflaed nothing. On the ride, Hild shared news of the goings on in Coccham: the Abbey was finer than ever, Gisela was with child again, and the harvest had been good. Osferth and Finan entertained Hild with tales of their journey north, Hild interjecting with her own quips. Aethelflaed did not join in. Until she had Erik in her arms again, she could not feel at peace.

It was evening when they rode into Coccham. The night sky hung above them, heavy with stars, and the wind was harsh on their cheeks, though they sheltered their faces under deep hoods. A spire of smoke rose from Uhtred's great hall and Aethelflaed felt the tension leave her shoulders, which had been braced against the cold. Soon they were in the warm hall, their horses left to the care of the stable master. The fire was blazing in the hearth and Gisela and Uhtred greeted them enthusiastically. Within minutes Aethelflaed was seated by the fire with a heavy blanket around her shoulders and a cup in her hand. Gisela had a talent for hosting; she was determined to make her guests as comfortable as possible. With Aethelflaed settled, Gisela turned to the others: Hild had gone straight to the abbey, but Finan and Osferth were each embraced and seen to by the lady of the house.

Aethelflaed was watching the others so intently that she didn't notice Erik until he was seated beside her. She threw her arms around him and he hugged her, chuckling at the force of her embrace. She was so cold in his arms and he rubbed her back, trying to drive some warmth back into her. "Are you clinging to me because you are freezing, love? Or are you pleased to see me?"

Aethelflaed eased her hold on him but stayed close. "I am pleased to see you, Erik. It still does not feel real. A part of me worried that it had all been a dream, that you had not really survived."

Erik put his arm around her shoulder and she leaned into him, resting her head on his shoulder. "I am real. And if you ever doubt it, I do not mind being fondled." She frowned up at him and he laughed. "Did it all go smoothly, then? With Aethelred?"

Aethelflaed sighed and stared down at her hands, which were worrying the edge of the blanket. "I suppose it did. The Bishop approved the divorce, but not before my reputation was torn to shreds before my family and my father's court. Most of my property was granted to Aethelred. I was strongly encouraged to commit myself to a nunnery. And then my father told me I had betrayed him and all the hopes he held for me." Her hands shook a little where they rested in her lap. She could not forget the look of disappointment in Alfred's eyes.

"I am sorry, Aethelflaed. I am sorry for everything you lost and I am sorry that I was the cause."

Aethelflaed shook her head roughly, shaking the tears out of her eyes. Why was she always on the edge of crying? "You are not the cause, Erik. It was an impossible situation. If I had stayed with Aethelred, I would have withered away, and in the process I would have lost my faith in my family and in my father's dream. Now, at least, I have taken action. You were my motivation, perhaps, but I chose my own path."

"But you have lost your family, have you not?"

"And so have you. We will be each other's family. We will make our own happiness." She relaxed against him, secure against his warm, strong frame. "I have no regrets."

Erik sighed and held her tighter. "I hope you never do."

Later that night, while they were laughing and talking around the fire, Erik drew Aethelflaed away, whispering that he had a surprise for her outside. He led her out of the hall to front steps, ignoring Uhtred's jeers about what they were sneaking off to do.

Once they were sitting in silence on the front steps, Aethelflaed nudged Erik in the ribs. "Have you brought me out to see the moon again, Erik? Because it is not very impressive."

Erik followed her gaze up to the cloud-covered night sky. "No, something else. Just wait."

After a moment, Aethelflaed felt something rub against her leg. She looked down to see that Erik's hand was out, palm up, and he held a small scarp of meat. A cat climbed up to eat from his hand. Aethelflaed gasped.

"You brought her!"

Aethelflaed could see his wide grin, even in the darkness. "Yes, I lured her into a sack with handfuls of bacon. She was not too pleased at first, but I think we have made our peace, eh Gríma?" He scratched under the cat's chin and she purred at his touch.

"Gríma? She has a name now? I just called her 'Cat'."

"Gríma means shadow of night."

Aethelflaed smiled and reached out, allowing the cat to nuzzle her palm. "That suits her. I have never even seen her in daylight. She could be a squirrel for all I know."

As if the cat could understand Aethelflaed's words, Gríma reacted, biting at Aethelflaed's fingers.

"None of that, now, Gríma," Erik scolded, picking up the cat and settling her in his lap, "Be a good girl."

Aethelflaed laughed, delighted by the sight of the small fluffy animal rubbing her nose on the big warrior's face. "See, Erik? We already have a little family all our own."