Humanity's Comeback Pt. 2

Humanity Rises Again Pt 2

The Night of the Closing Ceremony (Humanity's Comeback Part 2)

Year 850

Two years after joining the Cadets

"Pick up the pace, you lead-heeled laggards!" Keith roared.

On any other day, this sort of exercise left me with not a single drop of sweat. Yet today with the harsh rain and the continuous hours of hauling luggage on my back, I began to dwindle in aches and soars on my body. A few felt the same while some were near death.

Nearly there I was getting irritated at the constant sound of rain falling on the earth. The splatter of water crushed down my skin, seeping through my clothes, As if my ass wasn't freezing already to begin with.

I began to mumble incoherent words to keep me distracted from my temper rising. I knew how bad my mind could take me if I were to slip. Gazing down at the mud beneath my shoes, the fear of getting it all over me grew tremendously. As my peers were on my tail, I forced my head to face the sky. Listing them off by one kept me sane.

Reiner Braun: The mind and constitution of a grass-fed ox. "Respected by most of his comrades. Yet I can tell that it was an act that he enjoyed to play. A game he knew the rules of by heart.

Armin Arlert: Built like a daffodil, but academically brilliant. Can't complain much other than the fact he continuously corrects me on how I write notes.

Reaching the target, I quickly unraveled my luggage and began to gear up. The competitive side of me lit up as I dove straight into the air. Didn't take me long until I saw the wooden props of what was meant to be Titans. 

Without any hesitation, I strained my hips forward to unleash the wire from the tree and embedded it in the titan's arm. Once I felt the metal ropes pierce its thick skin, I used the weight of my body and aimed all of the momentum into my arms as the sword came down to its neck. A clean cut as the fake skin slid off.

To the left of me, three figures group up as one by one taking a hit to another wooden target.

Annie Leonhart: Gifted with a sword. Her movements are like a busy river as her swords cuts through stone. She does not play well with others.

Along with Annie were Bertholdt Hoover and Jean Kirschtein. Both boys were the opposite of one another. One lacked confidence while the other had his ego oozing at every part of his body. Bertholdt contained heeps of native talent, but too mild-mannered.

Jean and I competed for the title of head of the class on ODM. While our techniques may differ from one another, are skills were nearly matched. It only angered me more that he had fewer years of experience yet he was on a level near to mine. It was hard to believe because he was also an insufferable smartass with a hair-trigger temper. In other words, he and I were too alike.

There was a good amount of distance between me and the rest. Peeking around my surroundings, I haven't spotted any of the men who worked for Keith. The task of supervising the cadets and their progress. I was hidden from it all. Without another thought, I find myself on a branch high enough to be out of sight yet to have a full view of the arena. From all the years of practicing, I memorized the location of all the wooden dummies and all the nooks and crannies to play hide-in-seek from the class.

I was confident in my skills to cut my time on these tests short. Fooling Keith and the others on my record of finishing the course. Resting my back on the side of the tree, I pull the blades one by one, polishing them. I've only gone through four sets of blades throughout the entire 2-3 years here. I took pride in them.