we were in screaming color

(yes the title is a taylor swift lyric, yes i am a huge swiftie)

here's a happy version (and a more well written) version of my soulmate au, because you haven't forgiven me yet because i killed our beloved will in my other version of this story. 

also i wrote the other one last year. my writing has (may or may not) improved by then and i think i need to do solangelo proper justice.

enjoy :):)

------------------------------

Hazel made Nico do it.

So did Jason. And Percy. Basically everyone he knew.

If Nico had the choice, he wouldn't have attended this dumb high school dance in the first place. They're overrated. The pizza sucks. (He's Italian, he would know) The worst part is that most kids have found their soulmates already.

When you're born, you only see in black-and-white. Not until you touch your soulmate do you see the colors that paint the world. Nico had heard many stories about how people have found their partner for life, some from online blogs or from his close friends. Hazel had met her soulmate Frank in middle school at the library. Percy met his girlfriend Annabeth at a martial arts class when he was twelve. (Annabeth had kicked Percy in the crotch, having the world promptly burst into color when they came in contact. It was Nico's favorite story.)

Some people find their loves at very young ages, some at old age. Others go through their whole lives without ever finding them. Others find their soulmates, but then one of them dies.

If your soulmate dies, the world turns back to black-and-white.

Some people's soulmates die before they even get to meet.

"What if my soulmate's already dead? I've lived fifteen years without finding them. I'm never going to see color." Nico told Hazel as he sat in the back of the car on the way to the dance.

Hazel frowned. "Now, Nico, don't be such a pessimist. Think of things on the bright side. Who knows, they might go to this school!"

"Or they would be halfway across the world."

Hazel exchanged glances with Frank, who was driving. "Oh, Nico,"

----

"Yo, Neeks!"

Nico groaned, covering his face with his hands as Percy and Annabeth strolled up, hand in hand. "Don't call me that, Percy."

Annabeth lightly smacked Percy on the head, with the latter promptly yelping. "Percy has a knack for annoying people. That's why I kicked him in the crotch all those years ago," Annabeth said with a smirk.

"Yeah, and you're so disappointed that you had to see color because of me," Percy countered.

Annabeth kissed him on the cheek. "Of course not, Seaweed Brain."

Nico smirked, but it quickly got wiped away upon entering the packed gym.

Percy laid a hand on Nico's shoulder. "Hey, Nico. Don't worry about it. Who knows, maybe you'll find your soulmate today."

"You tell me that everyday," Nico replied.

Percy pouted.

Nico rolled his eyes. "Fine, whatever."

Percy departed with Annabeth. Nico shoved through the packed crowd to the snack table. He grabbed a grey cookie and a black drink (he skipped the pizza) and sat on a chair against the back wall of the gym. From here, he spotted Will Solace in the crowd. Nico's face heated up. While soulmates were for certain, crushes weren't impossible. (Some people dated others while still seeing in black-and-white. It's a little sad, meeting someone that you think you love but not end up soulmates.)