Ch. 1: Show me the meaning of being lonely

“Is this where you want to be dropped off?” The cab driver questioned over his shoulder, a hint of irritation detectable in his voice.

“Yeah, thanks.” Oscar rasped, digging into his wallet in a quest to search for his cab fee. He knew the cabbie didn’t have all day. One way or the other he had to get out. But he couldn’t, he sat there motionless—stingy tears burning behind his gravelly eyelids. Maybe he should’ve slept on that plane after all. But how could he possibly do that when the tightness inside his chest was squeezing the remaining life out of him? It was absolutely unbearable.

“Do you mind?” The cab driver pressed yet again, this time not even bothering to hide his impatience.

“Sorry.” Oscar cleared his throat then he slowly disembarked from the cab after paying for his fare. There was no need to rush anywhere.

Oscar instantly breathed deeply into the refreshing cold air as he watched the yellow cab pulling away from the curb. The sky was overcast, gloomy, laced with deliberate winds which were starting to pick up some knots. It was typical Seattle, ready to pour down at any second.

People generally have different relationships with rain, sometimes it maybe soothing, or can ruin an entire planned out event. However in Oscar’s case, the rain was an unwanted yet inevitable memory to deal with. It was too much for him.

He couldn’t help but reminisce those days when Andrew and him were still younger…carefree teenage boys, between the two of them Andrew was the most reckless, daring and the most adventurous one—not to mention a hopeless romantic. Once every week they always found themselves strolling in a park, talking about nothing and everything. Then this other day it began to rain incessantly, no warning whatsover.

“Have you ever kissed someone in the rain?” Andrew asked Oscar who was ready to ditch the park when he felt the first rain droplet streaming down his cheek.

Oscar cracked out a laugh full of mirth. “Dude, isn’t it something you only see in movies where they use fake rain to shoot the scene?”

“No,” Andrew chuckled fretfully. “I admit that it looks better in the movies but I’d like my first kiss to be dreamy. You know, something worth remembering?”

“Fuck Drew! Just how much time are you spending with your sister?!” Oscar burst into uncontrollable fits of laughter, he could sense some tears threatening to spill out of the corners of his dilated eyes. His best friend had officially lost his damn mind. “Those are fucking fairytales, man. It doesn’t happen to normal people.”

“What if I kissed you in this pouring rain?” Andrew countered.  “We’re normal people, right?”

“Drew…”

“Tell me you don’t want to kiss me Oscar.” It was a sultry whisper that had left him dizzy with subtle need. An unscratchable itch to be closer, to finally have a taste of Andrew’s soft looking lips.