Ch. 4: Gibsonusa heist

“Hey, what did Punky whisper to you back at the hotel? It looked really intense.”

“Stop calling her Punky, Ash.” Chris sighed, he then shoved three digits inside his bouncy curls. “She just told me to be careful that’s all.”

“Wow nice, no one tells good ol’ Ash to be careful—very nice.” Ash scoffed earning himself an eye roll from his best friend. “So I take it you two fucked last night?” Ash had that usual shit eating grin on his face which drew a slight head shake from Chris—more or less amused,

“Nothing of that sort happened apparently.”

“What a hopeless loser.” Ash stated feigning disappointment. That made Chris chuckle a bit before clearing his throat to say something,

“I didn’t know I have a kid, Ash. He turns five now.”

“If this is one of your lame jokes where you tell me you’re talking about a goat I swear to God I’ll kick you straight in the nuts Christopher Mitchell.” Ash’s tone was far from being jocular. This was probably the most serious he has ever been especially whenever Chris was involved.

Chris focused more on entering the six digit code that Bethany had hacked the previous night. He couldn’t afford to make any slightest mistake. This was a crime you wouldn’t want to mess up just anyhow. There were sharks swimming everywhere, speaking about the FBI and not to mention the Vasiliv brothers who were breathing down their necks.

“Oh shit you’re not messin’ around, are you?” Ash probed, his hazel eyes fixed intently on Chris, daring him to splatter a lie out of his mouth.

“No, I’m not messin’ around with you. I have a grown ass child. Shocking, right?” Chris responded calmly ignoring Ash’s virtually dropped jaw.

“Are we supposed to be—happy? We never talked about these things man. Are you happy about it, Chris?” Ash sounded fascinated at the same time wary.

“I don’t know man,” Chris had a deep thinking expression on his features as he waited for the code to respond which it did after a few seconds of verification. At that moment both men were holding their breaths. “but on a more serious note, do you think I’m cut for being a dad?”

“I don’t want to send you to a rabbit hole of paralyzing, paranoid terror ‘cause I’ve no idea of what it means exactly to be a dad except going out fishing with your kids. I probably should’ve taken notes from my old man before he disowned my ass for botching Columbia. But, I’d say you should give it a shot. If you suck at it then at least you die or get locked up for the second time knowing.” Ash stepped up where Chris was to press his neatly guised handprint on the heat palm scanner only to discover the biometric authentication had been advanced to an iris recognition hence triggering a 120seconds alarm countdown which could bring the whole museum to an emergency lockdown. “What the hell happens when it hits zero?” he asked a panicked Chris who was now staring at the alarm count down with horror stricken eyes.