Chapter 12 - Will

He still had my scarf and jacket.

I realized that as I pulled off my camp hoodie, ready to go to sleep for the night.. Underneath I wore a teal green tank top, exposing the stylized sun tattoo on my left shoulder, spilling onto my chest. I sighed, grabbed a pair of sweatpants, and went to change.

That night wasn't particularly great. Only some mild nightmares. Nothing too bad. I didn't sleep for very long, however. Instead, I stared at the ceiling, and at the pot of hyacinth flowers on our window sill.

I'm not sure why we kept the flowers; it was something our dad had randomly brought to us. He only showed up for a couple minutes, but he set the flowers down on our sill, looking sadder than usual. He reminded us of something poetic about never letting go of love and disappeared in a flash of light. It was a weird gift, but who am I to judge a god? They're all strange like that.

As the sun came up, I immediately moved to change into a mint green scrub shirt, some khaki shorts, and some slides. I grabbed my hoodie in case it was too cold outside, and then I immediately regretted my horrible fashion taste.

It must've been less than forty degrees. As soon as I stepped out of our nice warm cabin, I pulled on my hoodie and rushed into the infirmary, muttering "cold cold cold cold" over and over under my breath.

I slammed the door shut behind me upon arriving. Almost immediately, warmth enveloped me.

And of course, there he was. Sitting on my desk. Hand covered in blood.

"Wow, what'd you do this early in the morning?" I asked, walking over to my desk.

"Just a stapler incident. Tried to write to Hazel. Stapled the letter through my hand. Letter covered in blood. Had to restart. Not cool," Nico replied.

"Permission to grab your hand?" I said, now beside him. It'd become like a habit at this point; to ask for permission to touch. Even with other patients. I mostly got strange looks, but sometimes it was perfect.

He nodded once. I grabbed the blood-covered hand. My face must've looked almost as red at the dripping blood.

"I've officially decided I'm going to confiscate your staplers," I noted as I moved to clean the wound. He shrugged a little.

"Probably for the best. This is the second stapler accident this week."

He smiled. Oh, gods, his smile. He hardly ever smiled, but when he did, it was like a ray of sunshine. And that's coming from an Apollo kid. His smile was soft, warm, and welcoming. His eyes always looked tired, but he was perfect to me. I think I almost exploded.

I wound up staring into his eyes again. How did we always end up like that? I cleared my throat, turned away, and continued to wrap the wound.

"So, uh, these sword lessons. When is that again?" I said, turning away to return the ace bandages and the hydrogen peroxide.

A small laugh escaped him. Less a laugh and more a scoff, I thought. "Noon. Already told you."

"Right. Mhm. Yep. Totally."

He tilted his head, legs swinging. I returned, now leaning against the desk. He pulled his legs up and crossed them.

"Uh... I still have your scarf and jacket," he added. I waved my hand.

"Meh. Keep it. Until you get another jacket."

His face flushed. "Oh. Okay. Um, thank you."

"Haha, don't mention it," I smiled. We stared into each other's eyes again.

And then, it happened.

It wasn't really more than a brush against my cheek. But he leaned over and kissed my cheek gently. I inhaled as he pulled away. Quickly he hopped off the desk and left the infirmary.

I stood there for a solid thirty seconds, trying to comprehend what just happened. Then, filled with joy, I jumped up and pumped my fist in the air.