|4| The Waltz |4|

Footsteps echoed through the marbled ballroom. The two lovers danced to a song that only they can hear, with the moon peaking through the huge windows as their witness. Gracefully they glide on the tiled floor with smiles painted on their plump lips. They danced to the imaginary notes of a piano, soft and sweet just like the love they held for each other.

Eloise did not want for this waltz to end. For this was the only time she can be alone with her beloved, dancing to their heart's desire. She wanted to paint this memory, so she can look back on times like these. To look back and see the content smile that rests on his plump lips, and the love that his hazel eyes held.

Edmund did not want for this waltz to end. For this was the only time he can be alone with his beloved, as they traded secrets with this waltz. He wanted to paint this memory, so he can forever etch the beautiful smile and gorgeous emerald eyes of Eloise in his mind. To forever be reminded of the innocence and grace only she can hold.

But alas, everything has its ending. As the song that only they can hear comes to an end, the two lovers held each other. They stared into each others' eyes, memorizing each of their features. Tears glistened in their eyes, but they held back. There was no need to make this ending more painful. Even as their lips touched for a promise, not a single tear dropped.

Eloise memorized his lips, as his hand curled her hair and the other holding her waist to draw her closer to him. She memorized the way he poured his promise of love through the kiss. She memorized the promise of protection as he held her, enveloping her with warmth only he could hold.

Opening her eyes, Eloise watched as the marbled walls of the ballroom vanished. She watched as the tiles floors of the ballroom were replaced by the wooden floors of her cottage. Her emerald eyes lay upon the small mirror that sat beside her. She could see her aging wrinkled face greeting her. Her bright emerald eyes reflecting the old soul residing in her.

It had been a few years since she had stepped foot on the abandoned castle that sat on the hill near her home. It had been a few years since she had last danced with the ghost of her first love. Her first epic love. She no longer had the strength to dance, as her earthly body was growing weaker. No longer does the gowns she danced in fit her nor can she wear her dancing shoes. She can only sit in her rocking chair and knit away.

"Grandmother," came a high-pitched voice. The cottage door banged against the wall, as her youngest grandchild came in with his innocent grin. Edmund, she had named him, but the meaning behind the name remained a mystery to her husband and eldest daughter.

A smile came upon Eloise' lips as she listened to her grandson chattered about the adventures he had with his cousin. She once again closed her eyes, growing tired once more. Her time was drawing near to its end. Maybe she could once more have another waltz with Edmund, this time for eternity.

First Written: February 11, 2021

Photo used not mine.