Chapter Ten: The Company Picnic

During my private tour of the robotics lab at Fitzgerald Enterprises...

My heart beats out of my chest when Robin walks in on me and Ezra in a rather... compromising position.

"Robin, what are you doing here? And why is Sofia calling you?" Ezra clears his throat, rubbing the back of his neck.

"She was looking for you. Do I even want to know what you two were up to?" Robin crosses his arms and looks between the two of us.

"We were just working!" I said, a little too quickly.

"You know you don't actually work here, right Y/N?" Robin glares at me.

"Ezra was showing me the prototypes. That counts as work..." I mumble a little.

"We don't need to explain ourselves to you, Robin. Did you finish the press release for the Milan breach?" Ezra crosses his arms over his chest.

"I've been a little busy, but apparently I'm not the only one." Robin turns his glare at Ezra.

"Enough. If you have something to say, say it. If not, then get back to work." Ezra snaps back at him.

Robin storms toward the exit, but pauses at the door. "I almost forgot. Sofia had a message for you, Y/N. She said since you were doing this office tour today, you should come to the company picnic this weekend."

"Really? I thought she wanted me fired." I furrow my eyebrows.

"It's probably a 'keep your enemies closer' type of thing. She already told Mom and Dad about the invite, so they're expecting you to be there." Robin walks out of the lab without a second glance.

Ezra sighs and turns to me, "Y/N, are you okay?"

"Ezra... We have to be more careful. We're lucky Robin was the one who walked in on us. It could've been much worse." I said softly.

"You're right. It won't happen again." He lowers his voice but gives me a small smile. "You don't have to come to the picnic, you know."

Something about the tone of Ezra's voice gives me pause. 'Does he not want me there?' I wondered for a while before looking up at him. "If you... think it's best I don't—"

I move away, but Ezra reaches out to put a hand on my arm. I turn toward him but avert my eyes from his. "That's not what I meant. I want you there. Against my better instincts... I always want you wherever I am."

I finally look up, my breath catching as I meet his gaze. "Okay then. I'll be there."

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

Finally, the day of the company picnic arrives...

I rifle through my things, trying to find the right outfit. "Okay, I give up. I have no idea what to wear to something like this."

As if on cue, I hear the pattering of feet running down the hallway. I turn just in time to see Mason and Mickey appear at my door, holding a bag that's almost as big as they are.

"Y/N! We got you something!" Mickey bounces with excitement.

"Dad said we could surprise you with something for the picnic." Mason smiles at me.

"Did he now?" I open the bag to find a cute, summery outfit, perfect for a day in the sun. "Let's see how it fits..."

I change in the bathroom and come back to show off my new look for the twins. The orange plaid, the off-the-shoulder top fits almost too perfectly on me. And the high-waisted jean shorts sits well on my hips. "What do you think?"