head over heels

Ben took a deep breath as the call ended. Miranda Bailey, his best friend, just called him, asking him to come over.

Normally, that wouldn't be a big deal. She just wanted to hang out, and he gladly accepted the invitation. After all, he'd get any excuse to spend time with her.

But it's Valentine's Day. Their first, as friends.

And it made his heart squeeze painfully. He knew she was supposed to be with Callie for a girls' night out, and he was partly glad he wasn't spending it with Miranda.

But then, the Ortho surgeon had to cancel for an opportunity for romance at the hospital.

Now, Miranda is left alone, and she's asking him to come over. On Valentine's Day.

Why is this a problem, you ask?

Did he mention he was in love with Miranda Bailey?

No? Well, by God and by everything he believes in, he is.

The moment she screamed at him, and showed her feisty, incredibly talented, and beautiful self, he was hooked. And then she took her mask off, and he was a goner.

Ben just looked into those chocolate browns, and she knew he'd never want to look anywhere else.

But then, they became friends. And everytime he wanted to tell her about his feelings, he chickened out.

He doesn't want to ruin their friendship. So, if he'll wait all his life, until his death, that's what he'll do. He'll just continue to be beside her, whatever it is that she wants her to be. Just as long as he stays by her side.

Ben sat on his bed for a while, before grabbing some clothes and heading out. He still needed to buy some chocolates and flowers, as Miranda's request.

×+×+×+×

He knocked on the door loud enough so he's sure his best friend heard.

After a few seconds, he heard the door's lock click, and the door opened, revealing Miranda in her pj's. He smiled. She continued to mesmerize him whatever she looked like.

"Hey, got the flowers and uh, chocolates?" Ben peered down at the bag he bought. "I didn't know how many, but I got Hershey's. I know you love them."

Miranda beamed. It made his knees weak. He always wanted to be the reason she smiled. "Oh my God, thank you. I was craving some."

Ben walked inside as Miranda ransacked the things he bought. They headed to the living room, where Netflix was ready to play randomly on the latest rom-coms. "Wow, you're really planning to drown in this romance stuff," he commented.

"Mm-hmm." She agreed, already opening a bottle of champagne. "Drink?"

He shrugged and said yes. What was the point? He was already there, and being a little tipsy might distract him from pining over his best friend.

"So, what do you do in these types of hangouts? I know we usually just lounge around and cuddle, but do we do something else?" He chuckled.

Miranda shook her head. "It's fine. Just like usual."

Ben nodded. "Alright. Pick a movie, then."

She pressed Notting Hill as they settled on the couch. She was on the far side, while he was at the other. This was basically routine for them. The first half of the movie, he massaged her feet while they catched up, and at the second half, he laid down on her lap and she stroked his head. Afterwards, he falls asleep on her lap, and they wake up cuddled together.

Miranda raised her feet to his lap. She drank from her glass. The movie started as he frowned. "We've watched this before, haven't we?"

She shrugged. "We have."

"So, why are we watching it again?" His hands did their work on her feet, and she moaned softly.

Miranda always does that when they unwind, and he can't blame her. Her job entailed that she was on her feet all day, for hours with no end. But when she made those sounds, his brain imagined her beneath him, on top of her, in several positions. And he was not supposed to be thinking about her that way.

"I want to," she grabbed the chocolates and moaned again at their taste. She licked her fingers, and Ben felt his pants get a little tight.

He rolled his eyes. "Why can't we watch something else?" He looked at the screen, trying to distract himself. "Like, something we haven't watched before?" He looked at her pointedly.

Miranda squinted her eyes at him. "Uh, no. This is my house, I asked you to come over. We watch this." She chewed through the chocolate bar. She licked her lips, and he almost groaned.

She noticed him looking at her. "Oh, sorry. Do you want some?"

He nodded, because he can't say 'I was staring at you because I want to lick your lips like you just did,' so he pretended the chocolate is what he wanted.

Ben opened his mouth as he leaned in to take the bar she was offering him. His lips grazed her fingers, and her breath hitched.

His eyes widened for a bit, but he composed himself. He wanted her, but he was sure he was just dreaming her reaction. "This is good chocolate. I might have some more of that," he chuckled, a little nervous.

Miranda just laughed. See, she couldn't have done that. Maybe it was just his imagination that her breath hitched. They were best friends, and he was in love with her. But he knew for sure, she wasn't.

But as she licked and sucked the chocolate off her fingers, he guessed it was going to be a long night.

×+×+×+×

a/n: a long night indeed ;))