Chapter 4

Tamir~

"You think we should get the ladder now?" I asked Reba, watching her struggle with the last few really high ones. "Yeah prolly," she answered, sounding a little defeated. "You know where it's at or you want me to ask Nyahmi?"

"Yeah...let's ask her."

I looked back at her curiously then looked away. She seemed so blunt and reserved. Or maybe she was pissed. I walked in on Nalila throwing up sight reading hand signs (aka Choir gang signs) in Nyahmi. "Get into ittttt," I chuckled. Nyahmi and Nalila quickly started clothing themselves and blushing.

"We just wanted to know where the ladder was because Reba couldn't reach a certain part of the ceiling for the last few."

"I just didn't feel like reaching the rest of the way," Reba lied, rolling her eyes.

"Mhm," I laughed under my breath.

"What?" Reba asked, looking down at me. We were above average height but she was taller than me. I bit my lip and she frowned at me. "I'll uh, go get the ladder," Nyahmi stumbled up from the couch, ruining the moment.

"Nah, I'll get it. It's too heavy for you. Ion want you to break your nails," Nalila suggested politely. "I'll show you where it is," Nyahmi smirked. The doorbell rung and that seemed to break Nyahmi out of her love fog. "Okay, we'll hurry up and bring the ladder down and get things done. Try to stall or something," Nyahmi told Reba.

Reba and I walked to the door and she shot me an annoyed look. "This is a close friends party, they don't know you. It's no point in coming with me."

"Oh sorry. I was just tryna help," I told her. I bit the inside of my cheek and stood back near the kitchen as Reba greeted somebody.

"Yeah, Ny had one last decoration she wanted up so she didn't want anybody to come in until everything was perfect."

"Who's that?" the person at the door asked, referring to Nalila as she walked down the stairs with the ladder. "Ny's latest little toy, probably." My ears perked up. Nalila wasn't my best friend or anything but she was my friend and I had a loyalty to her. If this Nyahmi was just playing around with my friends emotions then we was finna have a problem.

"They fucking?"

Who the fuck is this nosy ass person?

"Prol-ly," Reba answered.

I peeked my head around the corner and caught a peek of the male at the door. He just looked ignorant. Classic "I stand at the corner store all day and buy teenagers cigarettes" type of nigga. I scoffed and headed out the other door of kitchen that lead into the living room. I walked past the front door and heard the dude whistle at me.

I gritted my teeth together and kept it moving. Nalila was on the ladder finishing the decorations. "Aye, Rupert asked if you was done yet?" Reba called out to us.

"Yeah," I answered back. My friend got off the ladder and started taking it back up to the attic. Rupert made his way into the kitchen and started picking through the snacks.

"Hey, if you touch it. You eat it," I told him, already disgusted. Reba shot me an annoyed look. Rupert leaned over and tried to poke me. "Chill man. I'm about everything," I told him seriously. Reba smacked her lips, and I shot her a look as well.

I didn't fuck with their vibes so I left the dining room and went into the living room. I made my way to a bean bag chair and sat down, pulling out my phone. I was already ready to go home. Ever since Reba arrived the whole night had been going down hill honestly.

"Rupert in yet?" Nyahmi asked, coming down the stairs. "Yeah, he in the kitchen." I added under my breath, "Picking through the food."

"Well, Nalila said she needed help with getting the ladder to sit right. So if you could help her, please," Nyahmi gave me an odd look.

I walked up the stairs and found my way to the attic. Nalila was struggling to push it against the wall without it falling on some paintings.

"Hey, I wanted to talk to you about ole girl."

"Who, Ny?" Nalila asked a little to loudly as she grunted to get the heavy duty ladder to lean. I stood back watching her. "Yeah, and shh. Ole dude was at the door talking bout how you her latest play toy so be careful wit all that lovey dovey shit, friend. Ion want you to get hurt, y'know."

"She ain't nunin but sum pussy. I'm thinking bout having a party of my own at my crib. Maybe we could get a lil choo choo goin on," she smirked at me. "Bet." She got the ladder right and we started to climb out of the attic. Suddenly everything was dark and we couldn't get out. "Oh fuck," Nalila cursed.

We felt around for each other until we got close. "Bro, the food," I complained. "Nigga ion know none of these people like that this could be a trap," Nalila hissed.

"My stomach hurts," I complained.

"Shh."

"Shouldn't we be loud so we can get out of here?" I asked her. "What if they cannibals and they coming to eat us as the party-

"Tamir, shut up," Nalila hushed.