Chapter Five

Foehn had pushed himself away from her. Fall remembers clearly. She remembers his pain of losing his ability to see. She would feel awful as well if she was in his position, but yet this action still crushes her heart. After a long while of sitting under the gleaming moon, she stands and treads softly to her hallway. Holding her staff as she went, she approaches the sitting Foehn. His eyes had fallen close as steady breathing escapes him. She hesitates before sliding down next to him, laying her staff in front of her toes. 

He twitches in his sleep, but not before relaxing once more. Fall sighs helplessly. She hopelessly wanted to be there for him, but what could a spirit who no one believes in do? How could she get his trust and he get her own? She wanted to see his smiling face and brilliant green eyes again, but now he was in a state of mourning. She could feel anguish emanating off of him like a humid summer breeze.

Fall felt him stir slightly. She turns to him, her figure frozen in place. His dull green eyes open just a fraction of an inch. Recognition registers in his facial features as he skims backward. They sit in an awkward silence for many moments, as they try to start up conversation. “I’m sorry I pushed you away,” He mumbled quietly.

It seems to her that those eyes could see, but she did not want to push the subject any further than her thoughts. “It’s fine,”

“No, I pushed you away when I needed you most-” He says, stopping abruptly, and then smiling nervously.

Autumn begins to grin as well. He just implied that he needed her. Fall’s heart soars above the clouds and into the stars above. She sees his dim eyes twinkle a little as they smile silently. Foehn fidgets his hand in his pocket, before finally drawing out a simple silver chain. Fall stares at its glinting surface in the faint morning light. “This was my sister’s,” He whispers somberly.

“I am truly sorry,” She mumbles in reply.

He closes his hand, placing the necklace around his neck and under his clothing. “Come with me,” Fall speaks.

She lends out a hand as he takes it roughly. Fall helps him stand and leads him a little further down the hallway. She stops next to a carving of a doe. She guides his hand to the carving and allows him to explore the figure on his own. Fall blinks and calms her breathing. She wills the walls to come to life and slowly, but surely, they do. The young red deer shies away from Foehn’s touch, but quickly regains its courage. She could feel Foehn tense as the animal moves and the breeze stirs around them. “Where are we?” Foehn whispers.

The deer, as it is skittish, starts and dashes away through the forest. Foehn strides forward with his curiosity, leading her back to the place she died and became reborn. He stops inches away from the spot. He turns to look at her, or where she supposes he thought was her, asking the same question. “We are inside the hall’s walls, but now we are the etchings themselves,”

He gazes at her with his lifeless eyes in awe. “I want to show you something,” Fall whispers.

She touches his hand, bringing it closer to her. Fall brings his palm to a rest on top her staff. He wiggles his fingers, feeling the swirls of carvings in the wood. She brings her thoughts together and with a flash shows them to him. They awaken in her memories of a few hundred years ago. “Where are we?” Foehn questions as they stand on the outskirts of a small village.

“My past,” Fall states quietly, tiptoeing out of the woods and into the town. She sees her younger self run around, away from the chaser.

“Is that-” Foehn asks then suddenly realizing that he could see.

“That is me, before I became Fall,” she speaks, “This is only a mere memory, they cannot see you or myself,”

Foehn nods tensely and turns his attention back on Autumn’s old self. She squeals as she is tackled by an older boy, most likely her brother. A woman with blond hair appears from a house, calling for them, “Fallyn! Irwin! Dinner,”