Chapter 2: The Quest for the City

March 18, 3786

I awake to Comet licking my face "what is it girl?" I say as I start to look around the room. She motions over to the left by the small kitchen table.
I walk over to the table only to see that my back pack is open and my map spread neatly on the table. My silver necklace ,holding a photo of apparently a dog tag I was given when I was born. The necklace is spread across the map that looks to lead from where I am to some city. Larkdale city. The last time I saw John he told me that's where he was heading.
Next to the map is a note saying "Come to Larkdale city,you'll be safe there."
"Well, I think I'm safe where I am," I say to myself ," but thanks anyways random creepy person who somehow snuck in here and put this stuff here."
I pick up the stuff and put it back in my bag. And then I tell myself "WAIT! Somebody got in here last night and I didn't know. Wow. Why didn't they kill me? Or loot my stuff? Maybe I should go."
I pull out a small silver circle that apparently used to be currency in the old world. I flip it and let it determine whether or not to go. It lands in favor of going "well I'm craving some adventure. Are you Comet?" She licks her paws and rolls on her back. "Hm well. I think that's a yes," I get on my knees and start rubbing her belly.

10:24

We clean up and head out for the great city of Larkdale. "Hopefully we'll meet some humans there. That'd be fun. Maybe we could see a dog or two huh?" I start talking out loud to Comet. "Wow I really need some human interaction. You're the first thing I've talked to in months. Only gotta go about fifty more miles should take about twelve and a half hours of straight walking. So two options we either walk all night and risk it staying in the dark or we stop around seven and finish tomorrow. Whatever I'll shut up now"

6:47

Everything's been fine so far and the city is within view. Gotta be at most fifteen more miles to go. Well I can't see anywhere to spend the night so looks like we've gotta keep on going until we reach Larkdale.

10:16

Only about a mile away. The city's surrounded by big walls keeping out any threats. I wonder if that really protects the inhabitants. For all I know the place could be abandoned.
All of a sudden I hear a grown come from behind. Comet starts whimpering as I turn around. Standing there about twenty feet away is at least thirty Jabbers , tall human like slimy creatures that's bite transfer a purple poison that can kill you within two days. Then all of a sudden they come running after us. I turn around pick up Comet and run as fast as I can towards the city. Although the Jabbers are too fast. Known for their speed one jumps on my leg. Luckily I kick it off just seconds before it gets a chance to bite. Another Jabber jumps on my back and right as it opens its mouth to sink its sharp teeth into my shoulder, a arrow comes out of nowhere and hits the Jabber right in the forehead where it's brain is located. The Jabber falls as the city's gate begins to open. As I get closer more arrows fly by and the Jabbers drop down to the ground as the others trip over their lifeless bodies. Finally I sprint into the gate panting slowly gaining back my breath. I look behind me to notice no Jabbers. All I see is a closed gate. I'm safe.
I slowly walk into the first building that has a visitors sign hanging over it. I take off my gas mask and I sit down on the rugged brown couch as the lady at the counter starts talking to me. I'm amazed to finally see another human being ...that's alive. I try to pay attention but I slowly start to zone out as I fall asleep.