Chapter 3: The Crew

March 19, 3786

I awake on the comfortable brown couch I fell asleep on last night. A old black haired lady stands in front of me holding a plate of some juice and what looks to be food.
"Here, eat this and when you're done I'll take you to Mr. Maul's office."
I just nod my head and pick up the circular brown thin object. I take a bite and flavor bursts throughout my mouth, "what is this?"
"It's a pancake. Never had one before?" The lady asks me.
"Nope but I love it." I say as I stuff my mouth with the pancake and chug down some of the orange liquid. "Wait where's Comet?"
"Your dog? Oh, are doctors are fixing her leg and taking care of her." The old lady reassures me "Are you ready to see Mr. Maul?"
"Yes."
I arrive to Mr. Maul's office which is some large white building. I enter the room and I see a large man with a brown haired buzz cut. "Nice to meet you boy. What's your name?" He says in a deep soothing voice.
"Xavier"
"Well Xavier. Want a tour of the town?"
"Sure I guess"
"We'll my boy I'm afraid you'll have to wait. In this town we use credits. Ill get into more detail later but by looks of it you have none. I have a resolution for you. You seem like a warrior am I correct?"
"Yes sir."
"We'll I'm going to send you on a journey with my two finest warriors to go loot and attack our rival city."
"Why are we attacking them?"
"We always wanted to be peaceful, but they had other plans and they attacked us last week. So this will be our response."
"Okay"
"So boy wanna make some money and thrive in this city? Or do you want me to kick you out?"
"I'll do it"
"Great. Come back here at noon and I'll introduce you to the crew. Oh I forgot to tell you, you'll never see that dog again."
"What?"
"You heard me. That dogs infected. We can't allow her to be here. Maybe we can see what we can do but I'm gonna have to kill her."
"Fine then I'll leave with her."
"I'm sorry, but I can't allow that."
"Screw you."
"See you at noon buddy."
I walk out the door as I see a smirk on Mr. Mauls face. I exit the building and I look around the town. Nice place lots of buildings. There's about twelve people out on the streets right now. Including the lady I talked to early today. I run up to her "hey there"
"Oh hello boy. How are you?"
"Good. Just I was wondering do you have a blacksmith?"
"Oh yes down the road take a left it's the black building on your right."
"Thank you. Oh by the way what's that Mr. Mauls problem?"
"Nothing he's perfect. He's the best there is." The lady says with a stern voice.
"Sure he is." I state sarcastically as I turn around heading for the blacksmith.
"Hey there boy, how can I help you?" A big hairy man says in a deep voice.
"Hi I was wondering how much will it cost me for some .64 revolver bullets?"
"That will be about twenty five credits for a pack of ten."
"What are credits?"
"You must be new. They're our form of currency."
"We'll that helps. I guess. See you around."
"See you boy."
"Wait!"
"What is it?"
"How many people live here? And how'd you all get here?"
"I'd say... there used to be about three hundred of us. But the. The war underground began and we fled up here and built this place. Probably two hundred left. And then something happened. Confidential stuff can't tell you or I'll probably be killed. That brought us down to I'd say around one seventy five. But you never know especially with the plague killing people all the time."
"Wow I never thought that many people of the human race even still existed."
"Well we're here. Nice talking to you boy."
"Are you sure you can't tell me about that thing that killed a bunch if you."
"Maybe later boy."
"Bye sir"

12:04

I enter Mr. Mauls building to find Mr. Maul, a tall built black man probably two years older than me , and a small dirty blonde girl probably my age.
"Great impression. Showing up late." The bigger man says.
"Don't worry, I don't care and I'm the captain. Isn't that right Glark. Hey I'm Amy." The girl tells me.
Glark what kind of people name their kid Glark. "I'm Xavier."
"Well great to see you all getting along but that's not important. I want you to sneak into Draks city and loot their armory. Then find their leader Mr. Anderson and I want you to kill him. Then cause as much chaos as you can before you leave. Each of you will be rewarded with one hundred and fifty credits." Mr. Maul addresses us "oh and I want you out of my office now. Make the rest of the plan yourselves."
We exit the building and head out to the city's armory to get weapons. "What a shit head," Glark blurts out.
"You've got that right."Amy responds. "So Xavier, what's gotten you here?"
"What do you mean?"
"How'd you end up in this city. Everybody has a story. What's yours?"
"Oh. When the war started my parents went underground like the rest of us survivors and I was born. However my parents were killed. So my dads best friend John took me in and cared for me. Last time I saw John he was heading to this city."
I decide to leave out the Resistance.
"Sorry kid, but no John ever showed up to this city," Glark states
"He could still be fine. He probably is. Most likely he found out how corrupt and shitty this place is and decided not to come." Amy tries to comfort me. "Here we are. The armory."
We head inside and go down a hall and take a right into a room.
"I bet you need a knife kid."
"Nope I've got this." I pull out my small knife.
"How have you survived with that? You must be really good" Amy whispers me.
"Kid you need to throw that away it sucks. I think you'd prefer this"
Glark hands me a katana with a blue handle. It's put in a blue holder. I pull it out and instantly fall in love. "I need this"
"It's all yours" Amy smiles with beautiful white teeth. "I'll pay for it. Just pay me back after the mission."
I put the holder around my back. We exit the room and go across the hall. It's a big room filled with guns and ammunition.
"Hey Xavier, you gotta a gun? If so what is it?" Glark questions.
".64 revolver"
Glark hands me a pack of ten bullets. "Don't worry since we're going on a mission you get a free pack."
"Sweet thanks!"
"Looks like we're just about done here" Glark tells us. We head out of the building. "Meet back her tomorrow morning at ten to head out. See ya"
"Hey Xavier. Just guessing here you don't have anywhere to go for the night. Wanna come over? You can sleep on my couch."
"Thanks Amy, I'd love to."
"So what's it like being out there all alone?"
"I don't know. Its how I've always lived. It's a lot different from here though. So tell me what's your story?"
"Hm. Well I've lived her since I was seven so I don't know. Im just living."
We get to Amy's house and have some spaghetti for dinner.
"Hey Amy. Do you actually like living here?"
"I'm surviving. So I guess so."
"Oh okay. I was just wondering... Hey after we get back I'm gonna leave this city. And I was wondering if you'd help me get my dog back. You don't have to leave with me I was just wondering if you'd help.
"Yeah I'll help"
Time goes on and we finish dinner. Finally I stretch out on the couch and set my watch to wake me up at eight. I slowly drift into a dream and fall asleep.