Part 2: 2nd Year Residency

Charlie sat in the sick bay of Stockton State Prison and waited for her next patient to be escorted in. The line seemed to grow every week for prisoners requesting medical exams. She had seen broken knuckles and broken noses most but things were getting strange. She looked at the file of a reoccurring patient and called out to the guard.

"Happy Lowman."

"Inmate Lowman, on your feet." The guard ordered before the jingle of feet cuffs rattled closer with every step.

Happy had been treated by Charlie three times already and they were for genuine injuries from fights. He had started off a quiet man but Charlie seemed to bring out the best or worst in people. With Happy it was the better of the two.

"What have we got today?" She asked as he sat on the bed with a small smile.

"Slipped in the shower and it hurts to move." He said.

"Hurts to move what?" She asked and he pointed to his upper thigh.

"You didn't look in pain when you walked in." She said crossing her arms unconvinced. "If you tell me the truth, I'll share my butterfinger bar with you. Are you in pain?"

He stared at her for a moment before shrugging and shaking his head. "I actually wanted to talk to you about my mom."

"Ok. Fire away." She said as she pulled the chocolate bar out of her bag and broke it in half.

"She's got this kidney thing, Focal something."

"Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis?" She asked.

"Yeah that sounds right. Anyway she's taking Betamethasone, I don't know if it's working but it's not funded and..." He said looking down and sounding embarrassed.

Charlie put her hand on his and squeezed it gently. "If you can give me her name and address, I can see what I can find for her. There's a few alternatives."

"Thanks doc." He said before an alarm went off.

"Clear out Lowman, back to genpop. Charlie, Teller is on his way." The guard said quickly.

Charlie may not have been into the actual prison wing but even she knew Happy and Jax were close. As were all of the Sons of Anarchy. The guards words set Happy off and he jumped off the bed, knocking into the guard. Happy pinned him to the wall with his hand cuffs.

"What happened to Jax!" He growled menacingly only lifting the cuffs of the guards throat so he could speak.

"It was the Russians. They shanked him heading out to rec time." The guard said before coughing as Charlie pulled Happy away.

"Go, I need you out so I can prepare for him. I'll look after him, promise." She said pushing the tall man out of her room.

She pulled a wheelie tray out and piled the supplies she thought she would need. This was the first major injury she had got and there wasn't any doctor here, just the trainee nurse Pamela Toric. Two guards came in dragging a bleeding Jax and dumped him on her bed. She pulled on her gloves and cut away his shirt to find two puncture wounds to his chest.

They were too low to have damaged the heart but they were still bleeding a lot. She had Nurse Toric hold pressure on the wounds that were close together while she tried to rouse Jax. Her gentle calling out and patting his cheek wasn't working so she gave him a slap and a shout and he jumped.

"Do you know what you were stabbed with?" Charlie asked in Jax's face but he shook his head and panted in pain.

She grabbed a vial of morphine and the urgency of the situation stopped her from thinking about the vial as anything more than a pain killer for the man. She was able to administer it without feeling a single pull of temptation. Jax's groans quietened down as the drug took affect allowing her to think clearer.

After giving the area a local anaesthetic, with the help of the nurse, Charlie packed the jagged wounds and bandaged his chest up. He had lost a lot of blood and his BP was dropping dangerously low.

"Do we have blood onsite?" Charlie asked the guards but they all shook their heads.

"You gotta call warden and he calls St Josephs who bring it over." One guard explained.

"He doesn't have that sort of time." She growled and sat at the computer to search his name.

She found his medical file before grabbing an IV tube and two IV needles. Sitting on the edge of the bed she inserted the needle into the radial artery in her left arm before letting some blood flow down the tube. It wouldn't do any good to have an air bubble enter Jax's system. Taking the other needle she inserted it into his cephalic vein and let the blood flow.

As her heart pumped the blood around her body it pushed it down the tube into Jax's. His file held his blood type and they both had the common and compatible O+. She only let the flow through for 2 or 3 minutes be she could feel the affect it was having as she became lightheaded. She pulled the needle from her arm and pressed down hard until the nurse bandaged it up.

"Where did you learn that?" The nurse asked.

"I didn't. I just hoped it would work." Charlie replied, slipping into the chair feeling faint.

She could have done with that chocolate bar about now.