Chapter 1

"- ninety nine, one hundred! Oh my God, Gracie, a hundred cartwheels!" my boyfriend Bryan exclaimed, and we collapsed onto the sandy beach together. I felt his arm gently snake around my shoulder and I leaned into him, pristinely happy.
"I"m kinda dizzy," I said, closing my eyes to block out the spinning world. When I opened my eyes again, it was to find his perfect face close to mine, so close that I could feel his warm breath on my lips. We sat still for some time, but whether it was an eternity or a brief moment, I couldn't tell you. Finally, one of us closed the gap and his lips were on mine, warm and soft. Our kiss was short, but sweet, and I was reminded again how much I loved him, and how good it felt to be with him.
We finally broke apart, breathless, and I found myself staring into Bryan's soft brown eyes. My eyes drifted over his face, straight nose, rosy cheeks and skillfully etched lips. Dark bangs covered his forehead, and I reached up and brushed a couple of strands out of his eyes.
He smiled, and we were both still for a second, neither eager to shatter the perfect moment. "We should probably get going," I said wistfully, but neither of us moved to get up.
"I suppose you're right, we don't want to keep Rose waiting!" he replied slowly. We both got up at the same moment, and we silently began moving together, our fingers interlaced.
The sun was setting slowly over the horizon, and the bright pinks and oranges were reflected perfectly on the churning ocean waters. We walked with our feet in the wet sand just after the ocean, and every so often a wave would come up and lick our ankles. A light breeze ruffled the calm air, and I felt myself shiver slightly.
We finally arrived at the stretch of beach we had left our things on, and reluctantly headed up to retrieve them. I pulled a white crop top and jean shorts over my blue bikini, and picked up my handbag. I grabbed my phone and switched to the camera, checking my make-up. I saw a small smudge in my eyeliner, and hurriedly fixed it, hoping that it hadn't been there long and that no one had noticed.
"Hey Bryan, you wanna take an Instagram selfie?" I purred, running a hand through my hair to fix it.
"Sure baby." he replied, and we made cute faces and took the picture. I swiped through the filters, stopping at one where the sunset behind us looked especially vibrant. I tagged him, and put some heart emojis as the caption. I turned off my phone and grabbed my sandals while Bryan called his sister to come pick us up.
"That was really fun," I said as we walked up the beach to the parking lot.
"Yeah, we should do it again soon." he replied.
"Anything for you."
"I feel special." Bryan teased as we entered the abandoned lot. "Ugh, she's late again. When she comes, she's probably going to be drunk. Great. Prepare yourself for the worst."
I nodded wordlessly as a black Mercedes pulled up. "Or not." I replied, as the driver leaned over and opened the passenger side door. Bryan started to get in, but the girl driving stopped him.
"Oh no you don't! This seat is for the sexy one! Hi Gracie!" she exclaimed cheerfully.
"Hey Rose," I said as I climbed in next to her. Bryan climbed into the backseat, and with a wild lurch, the car began to move.
"Geez, Rose, couldn't have waited for me to get situated, could you! Honestly, how did you pass your driving test?" Bryan yelled.
"Sorry honey, I thought you were belted in. You're welcome for picking you up, you ungrateful slug!" Rose giggled, "Oh my God, Gracie, you will never believe it! I caught Matt cheating on me with Jessica Woodrift! Jessica Woodrift! When he saw me come in, he was all like, 'It isn't what you think it is, honest, it was only a one night thing' and I basically go, we are over snapped my fingers and left. I wouldn't have minded that he cheated on me if it was anyone but Jessica Woodrift. That evil devil child, I'm gonna... I don't even know. But now I don't have a boyfriend, and that is legit ruining my reputation, it's the end of summer and I just need a new one, God, if it weren't for Jessica Woodrift." she finished her speech with a sigh, then looked at me as if she expected the same kind of reply from me.
"Stupid Jessica Woodrift," I said theatrically as I grabbed Rose's phone off the dash. "Passcode?"
"6743," she responded before launching herself into another rant about random gossip. I scrolled through Rose's phone, checking out all of her apps when her phone rang.
"It's Matt Chester, should I answer?" I asked hesitantly.
"No, give it to me." I passed her the phone, and she answered instantly. "What do you want?" she snapped angrily. The voice on the other end of the line was weepy and distraught. "Do I want to get back together with you? Hmmmm, no! Listen, Matt, when you cheat on someone, you have to deal with the consequences of your action. These are the consequences of yours. Is there anything else you want from me? Oh you're sorry, are you? Well I'm not. You are really annoying me, so I'm hanging up. Good-bye." she tapped the end button, shaking her head. "Block him, will you?" I nodded, and she smiled again, beginning some other gossipy rant about who knows what.
We pulled into my long driveway, just behind my brother's shiny red convertible. Rose broke off mid-rant. "Your brother is so hot!" she exclaimed, "I think I have a new target! Is he single?"
I groaned. "Yes, but Tyler is so unattractive! I would cry if I saw you with someone so annoying and gross!"
"Come on, you love him"
"As a brother and nothing more! Ugh, Rose!"
"You are a lost cause. He's like the hottest senior ever!" Rose yelled, and I shook my head. We pulled to a stop in front of my house, and I opened the door and got out. Bryan, who had been silent the whole ride, called, "Bye baby!"
"Bye, Bryan! Adios Rose!" I slammed the car door behind me, then turned and followed Tyler into my house. I watched as Rose's car pulled away, and I smiled at the memory of our evening.

Hi guys, I really hope you like this it's my first ever thing on wattpad... will update ASAP thanks for reading!!! Ily!!!
-Emma