2 Grief

"In the future, I would appreciate that you ask if I've concluded my investigation before dragging us off to the next location," I chided as we pulled up outside of the house that apparently belonged to the victim. Special Agent Parker glanced over to me. He watched me for a moment as if carefully considering how to answer. I was already getting the distinct impression from my new partner that he didn't work well with others. Then he opened his door and stepped outside.

"The Crime Scene Unit will call us with any results," he said over his shoulder as he exited as if that explained his hurry to leave the scene. With a sigh, I opened my door and met him on the walk up to Chelsea Lucas's house.

"I have quite a bit of experience in forensic investigation myself. I could have been of use on the scene. I would have liked to remain there and supervise or, at the very least, ask a few more questions-"

"Like what?"

"Like when the girl died. Don't you think her mother might want to know that?"

"All her mother needs to know is that her daughter's death is part of an ongoing investigation. One which we cannot discuss in detail with her at this time."

"You think that's all the victim's mother needs to know? I asked, incredulous. When he did not answer, I continued. "It's your duty to inform the parents that their daughter's death is part of an ongoing investigation. It's even your responsibility not to share facts of the investigation with them. But this is their daughter. Don't you think you can dispense with the bureaucratic terminology long enough to express some sorrow for their loss?"

Without an answer, he reached out and knocked on the frayed screen door. I sighed.

"Don't we need to know that information?" I queried.

"We will," he answered, nonchalant, "when the medical examiner calls."

The door opened then to reveal a small, middle aged woman with orange, from the box, hair dressed in coveralls. She looked from Special Agent Parker to me before hesitantly opening the door.

"Mrs. Lucas?" Special Agent Parker asked, pulling out his badge and showing it to her. "I'm Special Agent Jake Parker, this is Dr. Madeline McKinnon. We are with the FBI. May we come in?"

"The FBI?" she asked, blinking at us in new recognition of our authority. "What does the FBI want with me?"

"It's about your daughter," Special Agent Parker told her. "May we come in?"

She said nothing but moved aside to admit us. I followed Special Agent Parker's lead, stepping into the house and waiting at the entrance for her to show us to a small living room with worn down furniture. She took a seat in an armchair and gestured toward the couch. Special Agent Parker sat. I did not, choosing instead to make my way toward the mantle to view the family photos there.

"Is your husband home, Mrs. Lucas?" Special Agent Parker asked.

"I don't have a husband," she answered, looking from him to me where I stood examining a photo of her and her daughter in the living room of another house, likely a family member's. With a strangely calm voice, she continued. "Has something happened to Chelsea?"

"Mrs. Lucas," Special Agent Parker began, tone far more gentle than I had ever heard it. I looked up in his direction. Perhaps, in my displeasure at having my simple request brushed off as insignificant, I had jumped the gun on advising him to be kind to the grieving mother. "A body was found washed up on the shore of the Potomac River this morning. It's been identified as your daughter, Chelsea Lucas."

Her lips parted and she took a shaky breath as her hand went to cover her mouth. I watched her reaction closely. The shock was there, easily distinguished. She shook her head back and forth as if in disbelief, closing her eyes to allow the information to sink in. After a moment, she released a shaky sigh. Special Agent Parker looked over at me and I could understand the reason for his confusion. No tears.