5 Fallen

"Well, that's motive if I've ever seen it," Parker remarked.

We had been watching a video of our victim giving a man who was apparently the son of a prominent federal judge a lap dance for the last ten minutes on one of the large screens in the lab.

"You think she blackmailed him?" I asked, looking sideways at my partner. He shrugged.

"Witnesses heard her arguing with a man on the phone, we found a diamond bracelet on her body whose value far exceeds her income bracket, then we find this video on her laptop? Seems like a logical explanation."

It did. But something had me shaking my head.

"She doesn't seem like the type," I replied.

"Yeah, well, it's the porn stars who always surprise you," Parker quipped and Emerson chuckled.

"No. I mean, she had a modest apartment," I continued my explanation, recalling details from the images of our victim's home which I reviewed in the case file previously. "Cross-stitched pillows and threadbare sheets. People who blackmail do so because they're out for money. Because of greed. That bracelet was the only real piece of jewelry she owned. If she was blackmailing him, where did the money go?"

"Maybe he refused to pay," Parker answered with a shrug. "Maybe that's what they were arguing about."

"This video is time stamped last year."

"Maybe she didn't try to use it against him until now."

"Why? Why keep it and wait?"

"It's an election year," Emerson offered, looking between us with interest as if fascinated to observe our process. "Maybe hitting him now, when the stakes are high, promises a better payout."

"Or it got her killed," Parker added.

"Only one way to know," I replied, grabbing my things. "I'm assuming this guy still lives with daddy?"

Parker curled his lip in obvious disgust as I tucked my belongings against my side and headed for the door. He followed a moment later, nodding his head to Emerson in goodbye. It took him a moment to catch up to me. When he did, it was because he had jogged ahead to open the door for me. As I passed through, my arm grazing his, he lowered his voice and spoke firmly, "don't say daddy."

A few minutes later, Parker and I were in the SUV on the way to the judge's house.

"You know, Doc, these sorts of visits can always be tricky," Parker spoke a few minutes into a relatively quiet car ride which I was using to peruse the case file again. I looked up to find him watching me. "When the suspect is someone like this."

"Rich and powerful, you mean?" I asked.

"Yeah. Like that. It can be... tense. There's a certain way to go about—"

"Are you suggesting that I might not be aware of the difference in attitude between a highly respected judge and a common criminal? That I might not adjust my behavior accordingly?"

"I'm suggesting that you have a penchant for justice which, while admirable, can come across as accusatory in certain situations."

I hesitated, considering his appraisal. Then I nodded.

"I'll take that under advisement," I answered, professionally. "Thank you."

He nodded and looked away.

"Did you just say that you admired me?" I asked, a hint of a grin on my lips.

"Oh, look at that. We're here."

I snorted as Parker pulled the SUV into the driveway of one of the most opulent brownstones I'd seen in the city. I leaned down to stare out the windshield at the beautiful home while Parker hopped out and walked around the car to open my door for me. Pulling myself out of my reverie, I climbed out and thanked him.