11

Benj swam slowly round the cave. Luckily there were water channels cutting through the rock floor. Some were only a few inches deep but others were big enough for Benj's to swim through easily. The water parted as he glided without a sound. Sun sparkling it a light blue through the holes in the ceiling. Offering just enough light for Benj to see and just enough gloom for him to remain unseen by others. Only the top of his head and his black eyes remained on the surface. Hair smooth over his head like ink as he peered around.

The pirates of the black Pearl were all gathered on the rocks to watch the show. On top of a particular large pile of treasure stood Barbosa. The man had not aged at all since Benj had last seen him. It was slightly unnerving that the crew still looked just as he remembered them. Next to Barbosa stood a beautiful young woman with light brown hair. He recognised her as the woman he had saved from drowning back in port royal. Ah so that was Elizabeth, he had honestly forgotten what she looked like. But he could admit that she was stunning. She didn't look cowed at all, standing tall despite how scary the situation must be for her. Benj could understand why Will was so attracted to her.

Barbosa was talking, some loud speech about how long they had all suffered. The crew all listening with well timed cheers. Benj took advantage of their distraction to swim slowly round the hill of treasure. The gold glittered and his fingers itched. He wondered if the curse extended to all the gold in the cave, or was it just the doubloons? Maybe he could take just a few? He had the protection of the sea, therefore the curse probably wouldn't affect him.  Oh he wanted to take some so bad.

Benj licked his lips, hand breaching the water to stretch towards the shiny coins. One particular jewel caught his attention. It was a deep scarlet red ruby about the size of a quail egg. Benj was mesmerised. It reminded him of Jeanette's favourite red dress. Slowly, his clawed fingers snatched it up and tucked it into his pocket back under the water. He felt a pulse as the water covered it. The magic of the sea removing the curse as soon as it touched the water. He smiled sharply.

He was about to snatch up as much gold he could fit into his pockets when a sharp crack sounded. He jerked quickly back underwater. The water distorted his vision of the surface but he was still able to make out blurred forms. He watched as the slap sent Elizabeth tumbling down the pile of gold. She rolled in a flurry of material and a cascade of golden coins before coming to a stop on the stone only a few feet from where Benj was submerged. He smirked wickedly. Her blood did not work.

Shouts started echoing through the cave as the pirates began blaming each other. Benj swam slowly over to where Elizabeth was lying. She was still on the stone. The blow and the fall must have knocked her out, or she was playing dead. Benj reached out a hand and clamped it over her mouth. Her eyes flew open and she screamed upon seeing his sharp claws and fangs. Luckily his hand smothered the noise. Ah, she had been playing dead then. Benj grinned at her fear and raised a finger to his lips. With his other hand, he wriggled his fingers to bid her after him. Elizabeth glanced back at where Barbosa loomed above them, his back still turned.

With a grim face, she obediently slipped into the water beside him. Benj's grin grew and she glared at him. He gripped her wrist and pulled her along, making sure to grab the doubloon on a chain and slip that into his pocket too. They might need that. They began swimming together. His fins propelling them faster and smoother through the water than her kicking legs did. They stayed silent as Benj led her through the cave and back round to where Jack and Will had left the row boats.

Will was waiting for them on the stone bank. "Elizabeth", he gasped in a hushed voice.

"Will". She scrambled out of the water and up the bank to throw her arms around him. Benj watched as they hugged fiercely, Will pressing a hand to her hair. He opened his eyes and caught Benj's gaze. Brown eyes on black. Benj slunk further into the water, suddenly feeling self conscious of his inhuman features. For the first time, it was him who broke the connection. Benj turned away to glance back at the open cave. The doubloon and ruby hanging heavy in his pockets.

"We need to go", Will stated as they parted. "Grab the oars and get in the boat". Hurriedly they gathered all the oars from the other boats and stashed them in the rowboat. Benj hovered in the water as Will pushed the boat out to sea and began rowing back towards the ship.

"Where's Jack?" The water sloshed as he raised out of the water enough for his face to be visible over the boat.

Will grunted as he pulled the oars towards him. "He fell behind". Benj frowned but didn't comment. Jack would catch up. He always found a way. He pushed himself away from the boat and dived down deeper into the sea.

He beat them to the ship. He climbed up the ladder on deck as their boat began to near. The crew all watching as he strode to the rope ladders and began to climb up the mast. His mood sharp and unexpectedly sour. Mr Gibbons called up after him but he didn't reply. The crows nest was high above them and Benj crossed his legs as he settled inside. The water from his clothes leaving dark marks on the wood. Down below he could see Will and Elizabeth climb onto deck. Soon the crew all began to prepare to set sail.

Unedited