21: Cuddles

I stare up at Billie, who's sharpening some knives. I'm sitting in one of the kitchen chairs, my wrists attached to the arms. She steals a glance over towards me and smirks, continuing to sharpen the knives. I listen to the sound that the blades create over each other. It sounds like nails on a chalkboard or a fork scraping against a china plate. I stare helplessly at her, wondering what to do. There's no doubt that she's going to kill me. But I thought she loved me! Apparently, she doesn't.

"What are you doing, Billie?" I ask her.

"What do you think I'm doing?" she asks with a sly grin. I open my mouth to speak, but she holds up a hand, silencing me. "I'm gonna kill you. Trick you into thinking that I loved you and then kill you." She chuckles. "You're so gullible, Aubrey. It's like leading a lamb to the slaughter. And you're the lamb."

I feel the tears rush down my face. I stare down at the ground. "Please don't," I whine. "I still love you, Billie!"

She scoffs. "And you think I will? No. No, I won't."

With a final scrape of the knives, she approaches me. She puts a finger underneath my chin and lifts my head up so I'm looking into her ocean eyes for the final time. I swear that I see a look of sorrow flash through them for just a brief second. She smirks and raises both the knives, one at my neck, one pointing towards my heart.

"Are there any last words you'd like to say before I kill you?" 

I think for a second before nodding. She stares at me. I take a shaky breath. 

"I don't care if you're going to kill me, Billie. I'm going to still love you. You made my life whole. This feels like I'm dying for you. And I think it's worth it. Go ahead and kill me."

She doesn't speak for a few seconds. I see tears forming in her eyes. She sighs. "I'm so sorry, Aubrey. I'm going crazy." She takes the knives away from my skin. "I'm not going to kill you. I love you, Aubrey."

I close my eyes and take a few deep breaths, congratulating myself for convincing her to let me live. I feel tears escape my closed eyes. "Thanks, B —"

Without a warning, I feel both knives enter my heart.

***

I wake up with a loud scream that pierces the night. I don't feel like throwing up anymore, but my nose is plugged, making my scream sound muted in a way. I feel somebody jolt beside me in the bed, and the lamp beside the bed turns on. I feel arms wrap around me. Knowing it's Billie, I shove her off.

"Aubrey? Are you okay?" she asks me, sounding concerned.

"I'm fine!" I snap. "Just had a dream. That's all. Go back to sleep."

"I'm just trying to make sure you're okay. What was the dream about?"

"It's none of your business! Sheesh!" I stand up and walk over to the door, throwing it open, walking out into the halls, laying down on the living room couch. I pull the throw over me and face the leather, beginning to sob quietly. I feel the couch dip beside me.

"Aubrey, please. I want to make sure you're alright. I love you, Aubrey."

"That's what you said before you killed me!" I snap out of nowhere, not meaning to say what had happened in my dreams. I immediately cover my mouth, eyes wide. "I shouldn't have said anything."

"Aubrey, I'm not going to hurt you. I promise," she says, wrapping her arms around me into a hug. I feel like she's telling the truth; I let her hug me. "Come on. Let's go back upstairs and get back into bed. We can cuddle the rest of the night if you want to. Okay?" I nod. "Okay. Come on, Aubrey. Let's go."

I uncover myself and stand up, shakily walking up the stairs. I stumble halfway up, but quickly right myself up before I fall. When we get back to her bedroom, I slide back into my side and Billie slides into her side. She pulls me closer to her, holding me close to her. I roll over so I'm facing her and stare into her ocean eyes.

"Do you want to tell me any more about the dream?" she asks softly. "You don't have to if you don't want to. I'm just curious about what happened."

"No, it's fine," I say. "I'll be okay. I promise."

She smiles. "And I promise I'm not going to hurt you. And I promise nobody else will be able to hurt you. Okay?"

I nod. "Okay. I love you, Billie."

"I love you too, Aubrey."

She gives me a soft and gentle, yet passionate, kiss that I embrace. We continue for several seconds before pulling away. I pull the covers over both of us before I close my eyes, sliding away into a deep slumber.