🌑 Prologue 🌑

Her fingers tap on the steering wheel to the melody of I Put A Spell On You by Annie Lennox. Being in front of an unknown home, that held her man pass midnight for the past week, has her plotting murder. Alzena needs to know who was learning to love the man she put four long years into. In her eyes, no female could be more of a woman for him than her.

The morning comes when love drives Alzena insane. The young woman's dark locs fall neatly to her mid-back and her sun-kissed brown complexion highlights her facial features. Her curves and build demands Alzena's attention when she snakes her arms around his neck and pushes up for a kiss.

Tasting blood from eating at her lip, Alzena fumes watching the two share the passion that their love has lost. Envy swallows Alzena as Nas gets into his Buick and speeds off. Stepping out of the car, Alzena catches the lady before she could get in the house.

"Excuse me! Hi, I've seen you a couple of times now and I wanted to compliment you on your locs. I've been thinking about getting them myself but my texture isn't as kinky as some."

The twitch at the corner of woman's mouth didn't go unnoticed before she clears her throat to speak, "let me get you my loctician's number since she can help you out better than I ever can."

Cracking the door a bit, the beauty goes in deeper to retrieve her phone. Alzena didn't plan on waiting outside so she welcomes herself into the young woman's home. Immediately she regrets her decision when she sees intimate photos of the woman and Nas; some even have family members that she knows.

"Who invited you in?"

"Myself," Alzena murmurs as she strokes the image of Nas mesmerized by another woman.

When Alzena turns around she could see that the woman isn't easily startled but she still remains cautious. Alzena feels the woman watching her staring at Nas with such malice. Confusion soaks the young woman's expression while Alzena studies their memory bank; who the hell is the woman in her home?

"What am I supposed to do? I came to see what it takes to be enough but I can tell that you aren't even half of me. This past week you gave me time to ponder all the reasons I'm no longer his muse," Alzena picks up another picture of them.

"This man woke me up everyday to kisses on my forehead; the butterflies in my stomach to be settled by his manhood. That promising lie of I love you causing my natural blush to stain my cheeks as he struts away or at the flashbacks I get through out the day."

Alzena and the woman's eyes connect. The mockery she feels when she sees the sympathy in the woman sets an unsettling disgust upon Alzena's face. She couldn't possibly understand how she just turned Alzena and Nas's life upside down.

"Don't act like you know the extent of our love. See he had my whole existence— mind, body, and soul. My individuality slowly washing away and I became a puppet in his daily play.

I like to blame it on my childhood and the love I always craved. From childhood to adulthood love never knew my name, but he came and it poured out of me like a hurricane's accompanied rain.

Do you feel it when he smiles? How the natural light of the sun isn't miles away or the possessive kiss that sets your body ablaze? Did it make you feel secure? As if his arms were your safe space where you could release your tears and explain your lifeline of fears?

Because I, Alzena Salvatore, did! I stuck to my role like every last promise would be fulfilled. I guess I have to deal with the fact that it was never real."

Alzena tries her hardest not to let a single tear drop after her emotional speech. The woman remains speechless; she never imagined she would be the reason behind a woman's pain unintentionally. She had no idea that Nas courted other women.