Chapter 1

As the lightning struck and the crushing sound of thunder appeared a volleyball was spiked with tremendous force. A man with black hair wearing a crimson uniform jumped and blocked the ball as if it were as easy as breathing. The man who had hit the volleyball was Bokuto, a man who had black hair with white highlights and wearing a white and black uniform. The two were playing a friendly game of volleyball, which was their passion. Even if it was raining and even if they had to walk through a snowstorm the two would play volleyball with each other.

"Aw come on!" Bokuto shouted in frustration.

"You should work on your spikes more," the other man suggested.

"Don't be like that, Kuroo, I am the ace of my team you know!" Bokuto replied. All of a sudden Bokuto thought back to when he first met Kuroo. It was November 20th, two days after Kuroo's birthday and around 12 years ago. It was sunny and there wasn't a cloud in sight and yet Kuroo had a sad expression on his face. Though, Bokuto wasn't surprised. He knew that anytime a new child would come in that they would be sad. After all, they lived in an orphanage. Violet, who was the caretaker of all the children, introduced Kuroo.

"Now, children, this boy is Kuroo. He will be a part of our family from now on," she said, "treat him respectfully."

"Yes Ma'am!" Everyone responded in perfect unison.

Bokuto had made a goal there and then, to become friends with Kuroo. Everyday Bokuto would talk to Kuroo. He would bring up subjects like the weather, food, colors, and sports such as volleyball. Sadly, Kuroo would just walk away into another room, close the door and begin crying. This just made Bokuto want to become friends with him even more. To make someone smile, after a tragic accident was something Bokuto was really good at. This went on for nearly two months, but on January 21st Bokuto walked up to Kuroo once again, and asked him why he was so sad. Kuroo hesitated to answer. He opened his mouth but the words couldn't come out. Then, Bokuto smiled, and what Kuroo wanted to say came flowing out like a river. He told him that when his parents were on their way to pick him up from his friends house that they died in a car crash. He told Bokuto he thought it was his fault and that if he had just waited until morning they would still be alive. "That may be true but, who knows if that were to happen in the morning too," Bokuto had said, "what's it going to do if you blame yourself? It is just going to cause more despair in the end. If your parents were here I know they would tell you they do not think of the crash as your fault. The only thing you can do is live a long, happy life full of smiles and laughter. That is what you can do for them." Those words had forever changed Kuroo. As far as Kuroo believed, those words were better than any professional scientist or celebrity could ever say. "Hey what's wrong?" Bokuto asked with deep concern while placing his hand on Kuroo's shoulder.

"Yes, I'm just fine," Kuroo answered. Once they had finished practicing they both went home and got ready for tomorrow. Both had moved out of the orphanage and both lived in apartment buildings, making a living by working at a gas station. Once Kuroo had gotten home he was greeted by his cat which had black fur and beautiful, green eyes. Before he could sit down Kuroo's cat was already on his bed ready to be showered in affection after a long day of being home alone. Kuroo began petting his cat and exhaled loudly. Kuroo got up and peeked under his bed. He reached his hand and grabbed a box labeled, "help". Kuroo opened the box and threw the top on the floor making a thump sound. The box contained items to prepare coffee, pills to help a person from falling asleep, a book about anxiety, and pictures of Kuroo's mom and dad. Kuroo took two of the pills and grabbed pictures of his mom and dad. He gazed at it for what felt like forever to him. Seeing their happy faces yet only remembering what they looked like on their deathbeds in the hospital. Covered in scrapes and bruises, blood still leaking out just a little and the look on their faces as they took their last breath.

Kuroo tried his best through all these years, but he couldn't smile. Ever since that day his parents died in front of him. Not even Bokuto could make him smile, yet. Twelve whole years without ever smiling once! There were times Kuroo just felt like dying. The only thing that brought him back was the thought of how Bokuto, and how he would be devastated. For three hours Kuroo only stared at the pictures of his parents. Thinking of the memories he had with them. One time they had gone to a water park. When Kuroo and his mother were in line for a water slide he had told her he was scared. Instantly, his mother cheered him up and told him she would take him out to go get his favorite food, grilled salted mackerel pike. It didn't seem like much, but it was a memory he cherished. The memories with his father included going hunting together and his father helping him with math, since his father was very interested in the subject. "I'm trying mom and dad. I'm trying to smile and laugh, but I can't," Kuroo said to himself.

Kuroo began to breathe heavy and fast, it quickly turned into hyperventilation, to a point where he couldn't breathe. He fell to the ground and he let out a soft groan. His face began to sweat and he became dizzy. He was having an anxiety attack. Everything in his life was coming at him so suddenly. School, grades, volleyball, and most of all the death of his parents. He would look at the wall but all he could see were the dead faces of his parents.

Bokuto had come home to find his pet owl had escaped from his cage.

"Aw man! You got out of your cage again!" Bokuto exclaimed. A quiet, "hoo hoo" came from his owl, who had white, luxurious coloring. Bokuto's phone began to rang and shake. A sound that startled his owl. Bokuto came out of the bathroom and answered it. As he put it by his ear all he heard was a fast breathing of a person, but he knew it was Kuroo. "Hey, what's wrong Kuroo," He asked concerningly. It took a while for Kuroo to say something, after all, he could barely speak as he was, eventually the words, "anxiety attack" came out. "I'll be right there," Bokuto said.

He sped out of his apartment so fast he didn't even lock his door. He ignored the speed signs as he was driving. As far as he knew they were only suggestions, Kuroo was in trouble and nothing was going to get in his way. Bokuto didn't care if he drove even a tiny bit faster as long as he got there a second sooner. After about eight minutes Bokuto was in the parking lot of Kuroo's apartment building.

Bokuto pushed the door open and rushed up the stairs as fast as he could. Kuroo's door was locked though, but once again Bokuto would do something crazy. He backed up and kicked the door open, not caring about the consequences or anything else. The only thing in his mind was Kuroo. Bokuto found him in his room on the floor, shaking uncontrollably with sweat on his face and the look of pure terror seared into him. It looked like Kuroo was having a hard time breathing as well. Bokuto sat on the floor with Kuroo holding him in his arms. This wasn't the first time this had happened, but it had never been this bad before. Now that Bokuto was here Kuroo had something other to focus on, someone to comfort him, someone to tell him everything was going to be okay. They sat together in each other's arms for two hours, after 30 minutes Kuroo calmed down, but then they started to talk...about life and about what stressed them out. A lot of things came into discussion, why Kuroo had the anxiety attack, why he was super stressed, then food, childhood memories, and then Bokuto made a suggestion. "Hey, hey, hey, let's go on top of the roof and look at the stars." Kuroo sniffled and nodded. The two stood up. Bokuto grabbed Kuroo's hand and they walked to the roof. When the door opened a freezing wind brushed against their skin and the two jumped in reaction.

"Now, do you know why I brought you up here?" Bokuto asked Kuroo.

"No, I have no idea," he answered. Bokuto snickered and then smiled. He pointed to the sky.

"The reason is...because the stars here at night are beautiful." Kuroo shifted his head up and his eyes met the starry sky. It was incredible. So many of them, so many different colors, shapes, and sizes. Kuroo was at a loss for words, he felt no word in the world could describe how he felt staring at the night sky with Bokuto, no he knew there were no words. Tears fell down from Kuroo's eyes, he was crying. They were both happy and sad tears. "Oh, no what's wrong. I'm sorry I didn't know this would make you sad." Kuroo grabbed Bokuto's arm.

"No it's okay, let's look at the stars together," Kuroo said with a bright smile. They sat there for five hours talking once again. Then they made a promise to each other, that one day they would be beneath the stars together another day.

Three months had passed since the day of Kuroo's anxiety attack. Kuroo told Bokuto it was just stress, but Bokuto insisted he went to the doctor, and to get a therapist. Kuroo gave in, Bokuto was more stubborn than Kuroo when it came to the better thing for his friends. At least there was some good news. Some friends were gonna visit Bokuto and Kuroo.