Seven

"It was the waves, mate!" Hero's laughter echoes as the four of us relax on the warm beach. Hero and Ezra are sitting in two lounge chairs while Eden and I are stretched out on a beach towel. I have my own towel wrapped around my shoulders, my legs exposed to the scorching sun.

"It's a lake," Eden scoffs, "there aren't any goddamn waves!"

While my sister is rolling her eyes, Hero chuckles lowly. He and I have been trying to convince Eden and Ezra that their championship was accidental, and that we deserve a rematch, but we've been out of luck so far. Honestly, they won fair and square, I just don't want to cook.

"Good luck cooking tonight," Eden elbows me while suggestively wiggling her eyebrows.

"Have fun starving tonight," I reply to her while sliding my sunglasses onto my face and removing the towel from my shoulders. I fold it into a make-shift pillow and use it to prop my head while I lie back and sunbathe.

"Awe, don't tell me you can't cook, Elle," Ezra whines, faking a pout. I ignore his mockery and remain lying down with my eyes closed. I'm gonna enjoy seeing their shocked faces when they realize I'm actually not going to cook anything at all.

After some banter and a few more hours of beach activities, the sun has made its way closer to the horizon, daring to hide behind the hills that surround the lake. We all pack up and head back to our separate cabins. We agree to meet at six o'clock at Ezra and Hero's place so that we have time to cook (or not cook) dinner. Ezra salutes us before we turn and make our way back up the grassy hill to the back deck.

"Maybe I can steal some of Mom's leftovers..." I mumble to myself, reaching for the fridge door as we enter the kitchen through the patio doors.

"El, don't be such a sore loser!" Eden walks by me and shoves the door closed. I groan and head upstairs to change, thinking about different excuses to get me out of dinner. I'm worried about making a fool of myself, and of burning their cabin down. I may also be slightly worried about the fact that I'll have to spend time in close quarters with Hero. He's not intimidating in a way where I want to scurry and hide, but instead his persona is so breathtaking that I find myself stunned everytime I'm around him. My brain forgets to function and I end up either staring or saying something stupid. He's kind of like the sun; so beautiful and bright, but you'll burn your eyeballs if you look directly at it for too long.

As I reach my room, I head to the large dresser to grab a change of clothes before heading to the shower. The hot water and steam relax me, and my nerves about tonight subside slightly. After rummaging through my suitcase and rushing to make myself look put together, it's almost six when I check the time.

"Eden! C'mon, I'm gonna leave without you!" I call to Eden from the front foyer, glancing up the stairs to see my sister frantically slinging her cross-body over her shoulder and taking the steps two at a time to reach me.

I lock the door behind her as we make our way next door. We follow the gravel path towards the front porch of cabin #4, and I knock lightly on the front door. Tanya's warm presence engulfs us from behind the door and we exchange welcomes before heading inside.

"I was just heading over to meet with some of the parents for dinner, actually," Tanya mentions while grabbing her purse. She then leans towards Eden and I and whispers, "I'm leaving you girls in charge."

Eden grins devilishly at me and we both respond with nods to Tanya. We say our goodbyes as she leaves, and make our way further into the house. The living room has the same warm glow that it did last night, except I don't see Ezra sitting and watching TV. This time, sound is flooding from further within the house and I lead us cautiously towards the noise. It's music; with an upbeat rhythm and quick lyrics. Rounding the corner, I enter into the grand open kitchen, Eden following suit. The first thing I notice is the island littered with various candles. Then, I notice the tall figure shuffling about, reaching into a cupboard. By the black t-shirt and track pants, I can tell it's Hero.