29.

AZRIEL

Azriel could see it as if forgotten memories were flooding his mind.

Auriella unknowingly let him see what she was thinking, showing him what was making her shadows spring to life to allow them to find him.

He had appeared beside her as she played her orange-colored piano. The song was written out in front of her, making sure she pressed the right notes. He had seen a smile rising on those beautiful lips, resisting the urge to pull them to his.

The room glowed as if the melody made it come alive, vibrant with life.

But nothing, not even the stars, compared to the utter beauty that Auriella held. Her skin glowed in the sunlight that shined through the windows, her head moved along with the music, and her face filled with pure happiness.

He would stare at her for the rest of his life if he could.

As her melody died down and she came at the end of the song, Auriella abruptly stopped, looking over to him. Her green eyes were gleaming with tears but filled with content.

Suddenly, she grabbed his hand. Azriel's heart leaped, unsure of what he should do. Even in this fantasy she created, he could feel the warmth of her hand, sending chills down his spine.

Auriella had placed his hand on the piano keys, silently showing him how to position it. He looked at her hand, making sure it was the same. Then, Auriella had pointed to the second-to-last note on the paper, pressing down on the key.

Then she pointed to the last note, tapping the key for Azriel to press. And with his eyes on her, he did, bringing them out into reality.

Auriella stood in front of him, her eyes closed and breathing steady.

He could see their shadows swirling in the air together as if they had waited for this moment to happen; to see her abilities being used.

Azriel stared down at his mate, seeing a stray tear falling down her cheek. He didn't hesitate when he put his hands on her cheek, wiping it away with the swipe of his thumb. She looked so beautiful, her face etched in his mind, unable to be forgotten.

"Open your eyes, Ella." He whispered, wanting to see the shining green that always mesmerized him whenever he looked at her. There were times when he thought that this wasn't real, that he hadn't found his mate, that he had made it all up in his mind.

A year after the war, Azriel had to leave the House of Wind. He didn't want to be in the familiar space, as if the realization of the bond had changed him somehow. He couldn't stand the hugeness of the House, feeling like it knew his deepest secrets. He supposed it did, but he didn't pay it any mind.

Instead, he had come to the forest in the outskirts of Velaris, constructing his own cabin. It took him a month to build with Cassian and Emerie helping him. Before he told his brothers about Auriella, they had been nagging him with questions, but Azriel gave simple answers.

I didn't want to be at the house.

I need my own space.

Things are different.

Leave me be.

All of those answers were true, but with Auriella being in his mind constantly, he was afraid that he would implode in front of his family. He didn't want that, especially when everyone was still trying to get back to normalcy after the war.

Once Auriella opened her eyes, he felt his thoughts wither away. They gleamed with tears as if coming back to reality saddened her. He could feel it through the bond, a tug of pain that he wished he didn't feel.