39.

It was as if the whole world stood still; shocked at what it had witnessed.

"She did it," Delphine breathed, tears falling down her face.

Even Aiko didn't seem to believe it. She stayed in her frozen stance, breathing heavily, her sword visibility shaking in her hand. Auriella wasn't able to see her face, but she could imagine it the same as everyone else who stared down at her.

Azriel, Auriella breathed through the bond.

Her mate sent a feeling of comfort, as if caressing her cheek without actually touching her. She felt relief wash over her.

Auriella snapped her eyes up to Pyxis and the rest of the brotherhood, who were all fuming with anger. The trainer stared down at the male trainee's corpse, his fist clenched at his sides. He didn't expect this at all.

When she was able to move, the Daughter of Dawn descended the steps from the platform, with the sisterhood following behind her.

Aiko turned to them, letting Auriella see her face. There were tears running down her cheek, spots of blood were on her face, and her teeth chattered. She dropped her sword, the clatter of metal echoing throughout the silent arena. The female fell to her knees.

Auriella ran to her, holding her face in her hands, "You did it, Aiko. You won." She says to her.

A few seconds later, Devlon landed on the concrete. The entire sisterhood turned towards him, but Auriella still held a tired Aiko in her hands. She could see her closing her eyes, her breathing becoming ragged.

Auriella looked down at her abdomen, seeing the open wound that was there. It was a long slash, spilling blood onto her thighs then down to the concrete. Aiko stared at the Daughter of Dawn, as if telling her that she wasn't going to make it.

"Devlon, call the match. Aiko won. Byron is dead. Now, call her the champion. She is wounded." Auriella tells the Lord of Windhaven. Around the arena, the crowd muttered.

After a moment, Devlon doesn't say anything. Melba turns to him, her wings flaring, "Call the fucking match! Aiko won!" She yells at him.

Suddenly, Pyxis and the brotherhood land on the concrete. They carry nothing but hate in their faces. Talia comes to Aiko's aid, "Go and deal with them. I'll be right here with her making sure she is conscious." She tells Auriella.

The Daughter of Dawn nods, standing up from the ground. She moves in front of the women, feet away from Devlon. "Announce Aiko as the winner. She is wounded and needs to get to Ruth immediately." She tells him, her shadows twirling around her.

The bastard scoffs, "For all we know, you could have poisoned the blade. You could have been the one to sabotage this match. Byron was an elite fighter. Aiko is a newcomer. There is no way that she could win this match so easily. You must have done something to enhance her." He says, looking over to Aiko.

Auriella's blood boils under her skin, "Aiko trained day and night for this bullshit. I have done nothing but make sure she was well prepared for this. And will not tolerate any slander against her. Byron lost because he was cocky and weak. Now, call this fucking match before-" Suddenly, the arena rumbled.

Auriella turned back to the sisterhood, who all looked up at the sky. She followed their glance, seeing a cloud of black smoke start to rise above them. Devlon immediately made his escape. The darkness covered the entire battlefield, letting anyone in the stands not being able to see what was going on.

Auriella! Get out of there! Azriel screamed through the bond.

The sisters knelt on the concrete, holding their chests. Auriella ran to Aiko, who was now unconscious on the ground. Taila was right next to her, gritting her teeth from the pain in her chest. She stared up at the clouds, "Not now... not right now." She said, restraining herself.