The Voice

Alethia knew she was in trouble now. Her father had been teleported to the same place as she was. Closing the book desperately, she ran and hid behind one of the nearby flowers.

"Stupid woman!" the King's voice echoed across the landscape. "She never tells me what she's up to! Now she's depending on me to help her! Hmph!"

Alethia closed her eyes and tried not to move. She couldn't do anything now. If her father found her, she would be dead meat.

Or would she?

Alethia smiled.

She had a dumb idea (surprise, surprise).

She decided to try it. After all, anything was better than getting captured by her jerk mom and dad now, right? She cleared her throat and tried to sound as unrecognizable as possible.

Her dad mumbled, leaning against a large weed."Uuugh, why did I even marry this woman? She's lazy and she's annoying and she's-"

"The book is worthless!" Alethia called out.

The King jumped. "What?" he asked.

"The book is stupid and powerless! Your wife is crazy! The book doesn't do anything at all! It's full of absurd pictures!" Alethia said. That part was actually sort of true. The pictures could be absurd sometimes.

"Really?" the King cried.

"Yes!" Alethia continued. " You should get out of here as soon as possible! Your wife wants to get rid of you!"

"Really?! Why didn't you tell me earlier?" the King called.

It's working! I can't believe it! Alethia thought with delight. She had inherited some of the evil trickery and cleverness that her mother had.

Before she could react, the King sprinted off. He ran and ran until he was out of sight. Alethia opened the book. There was the Queen, who was screaming at her soldiers, and the next page...ah.