Alethia Sees the Raven (Who is smarter than her, also)

Alethia landed roughly onto the floor with a thump. She dusted herself off. After, she just sat there, wondering about the things that just happened.

It could've been worse. But it definitely didn't do her any good...

She wondered if her mother really just wanted a good, little child. But Alethia wasn't like that. Maybe it was better...

Maybe her mother wanted to love her but couldn't... maybe she was innocent...

Maybe it would be better to let her do it.

Alethia snapped out of her trance. What? No! I don't want to die!

The more Alethia thought about it, the more she realized that the Queen could be more deadly than she thought. She had to defeat her. Alethia couldn't be afraid of her threatening voice anymore.

Now Alethia was more determined than scared. She stood up with the same power her mother had:

My mom has the power of cruelty and torture. But I have the power of courage and strength.

She inspected her surroundings. Suddenly she realized that she was next to the tree stump with the raven, which was looking at her with intelligent eyes. It was quite unnerving.

Did the Queen just teleport me next to this...weirdo?

"Hello ma'am," the raven said strangely. He bowed. "I was watching you, and you seemed a little distressed. Do you think I can help you, Madam?"

Alethia frowned. "Can you act normal?"

"I'm very sorry, my Princess."

Alethia put her face in her hands. "Whatever."

But as she looked closer at the raven, he looked quite strange. He was almost smiling, and his face was a little red. Alethia looked at him with disgust.

"What trick are you trying to play here?" Alethia asked.

"I'm just trying to help you," the raven replied in a weird pitch. "I'll do anything to help you."

Alethia glared at the raven. It was still looking as red as a tomato. There was a weird cackling sound. And then it burst out laughing.

"BWA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA! Oh my goodness, you should've seen the look on your... HAHAHAHA!"

Now it was Alethia's turn to look red.

"Will you cut it out?" The annoyed girl asked it, crossing her arms. "Can you please help me?"

The raven raised an eyebrow. Or he tried to. Birds don't have eyebrows. Okay, fine, he looked like he was raising an eyebrow.

Alethia sighed. "Well?"

"Yes, ma'am... actually may I call you Alethia?" The raven asked absently, itching itself.

"Fine. Can you help me get away from my mother?"

"Your wicked mother...ah, yes. And you, the tortured princess."

"Supposedly," Alethia said. "But I wouldn't call myself a princess."

The raven shrugged. "Whatever you say, Alethia. But I work for Her Majesty Queen Esmira. If I'm not careful, I'll get punished, your Highness."

"Well, can you help me? Also you literally just said you were calling me Alethia," she added, crossing her arms.

The raven shrugged again. "Whatever. I suppose I can help you a bit. I might be able to make your mother forget about the full moon so that she won't consume your soul. If she does the operation when it isn't full moon, she could die."

Alethia had an idea. "What if you make her think it's the full moon and then she tries to do it, and then she dies?"

"That's a little too exhausting for me right now, Miss Alethia," the raven said sadly. "I'm a wise raven, not a magical scapegoat. Besides, if I did, you'd still die, because she'd still devour your soul. However, I am allowed to help you a bit, as I have a duty to you. You're the princess, Miss Alethia."

Alethia wrinkled her nose. "So my mother is literally going to eat my soul? That is very disgusting- and plus, how does it work? And don't call me Miss Alethia."

"Sure, Miss Alethia. You won't think that when she's eating you," the raven replied. "But it'll be worse afterwards. I don't know how exactly she will consume your soul, and it isn't really even eating- more like sucking it in. But you'll be left as... nothing, just an empty body floating around. No memories.... Just a vacant feeling. I personally haven't had my soul sucked out of my body, thank you very much, but I do know that it's a dreadful experience that you can never escape."

Alethia shivered, rubbing her arms.

"I also have a bit of advice for you," the raven continued. "If you want to get away from the Queen eating- consuming your soul once and for all, you must seek out the Magical One. He can help you stop your mother from killing you. However... well, you only have 2 weeks to do it. The full moon comes in 14 days."

"And where is this...Magical One?"

"Go south. Eventually you'll find him. But remember, the way is long and very dangerous. Be careful."

"I will. Thank you!" Alethia called out, already running away. A few moments later, she was gone.