The Hidden Light

So... It's something totally random. I just really like the idea that Branch is a Ballad Troll and @sushiranger art (look at this masterpiece) makes me want to write this little one-shot. I hope it's not as cringe for Ya as for me xd enjoy

________________________________________________________

Hot days had one huge disadvantage, which made them a bit less blissful - frosty nights. Nature was pretty weird at this point - these two opportunities liked each other a lot, they were oddly inseparable like genuine lovers. Where was the hot day, there always went icy night. It was like a rule. Poppy hated rules. She wished she could change it, just like the law. She was queen after all.

But then, she had to stand up to close this stupid window, which she had opened before the sleep, cause her bedroom had been stuffy due to the day had been diabolically hot! Poppy covered herself tightly with a violet blanket and sucked it up. "You can do this, girl!" she whispered to herself, trying to get the courage up "You can do this..."

The pink feet went out from a safe blanket's security and slowly started moving toward the floor. Little toes recoiled slightly when they felt the cold ground. They hesitated to touch it again, but Poppy was a firm queen - she ordered them to finally face the floor with all of its frigidness. She forced her head to leave a soft and warm pillow and get up to sit straight on her bed. She threw sinister sight to the window on the other side of her room and groaned out like a grumpy grey troll.

Poppy giggled when she realized it. Well, when the most optimistic troll in the village, Queen of every existed party, Miss Happiness in the flesh, started acting like this grey grump from the wood, it meant the situation was serious. This thought amused Poppy so much, so she started pretending being Branch, making her face as flown as she could. She was branking grotesquely around the room and speaking:

- The window is open! It was a bergen who opened it! I'm sure it was a bergen! I told ya bergens are coming! But you never listen to me, Poppy! - She lifted her hand, losing in the playing. - You NEVER listen to me!

She couldn't help but giggle. She yawned so loud and then decided to finally close the window. She walked to it and held the frame to push it, but then she heard something. She moved her ears around to catch the sound. It was soft and calming, but she couldn't recognize what it would be. Poppy leaned out of the window and frozen, listening.

It was a melody. The sweet tune of strings came floating through the forest and the village. It was really quiet but hearable. Someone played in the woods, far far away. It was so magical, so beautiful, so hypnotizing. Poppy was known for her curiosity, she needed to know who was the mystery musician. She put her blanket back on the bed and took her royal carpet with a hood. That was all she needed to be ready for walking through the forest in the middle of the coldest night of that summer. Queen was much more demure than anyone could expect. But only when she really wanted to.

Poppy walked out of her pod, covering tightly with her carpet. It wasn't that bad actually. The cold outside made her trembling only slightly. She could hold a slightly trembling. It wasn't big deal. She jumped off the Trolls' Tree and then she noticed some voice joined to the guitar music. She stopped to hear the words:

Love writes a letter and sends it to Hate
"My vacation's ending, I'm coming home late
The weather was fine and the ocean was great
And I can't wait to see you again"

Poppy was charmed by the song. It wasn't just a beautiful sound of the instrument, but also the lyrics were calm and full of melancholy. The melody just overflowed her with a wave of magical feelings she hadn't known before. It was sad, hope, longing, faith, and insecurity at the same time!