Chapter One

It took Donghyuck a while to notice that his new apartment was haunted

It took Donghyuck a while to notice that his new apartment was haunted. But, honestly, he can't really be blamed because most of his time spent there was sleeping. Donghyuck bought a new apartment when he had to move for a job opening. It had taken him a long time; far too long in his opinion, to find a job working in a music studio, but he had finally managed to find someone who was interested in his music. Donghyuck had dropped everything to move to a new city, not even thinking about what he was going to do about living arrangements.

The apartment Donghyuck was staying seemed perfectly fine when he agreed to live there. It looked nice and was rather spacious for the price. Donghyuck realized it would have been smart to look around more before making a final decision, but he had decided to take advantage of his luck and settled on the very first apartment he found. His new home was on the uppermost floor of the complex and was already fully furnished. It took Donghyuck a few days to move all of his things in, but nothing seemed off in that time. At first, the only thing Donghyuck had really, noticeably added was his production equipment and his laptop. However, it didn't take long for the clutter to start piling up around his house, making it seem more like a home.

Donghyuck would be lying if he said uncanny things had not been happening since he first decided to move in. Occasionally he would hear what almost sounded like footsteps, assuming the walls were merely thin and his neighbors were just noisy. Sometimes things were in slightly different places than where Donghyuck swore he left them. However, all of these things could easily be explained away. It had been a little over two weeks since Donghyuck moved into the apartment before he really started to realize something was wrong.

He had just gotten home from work and was dropped down on the couch, too exhausted to make it to his bedroom. His cat, Bongsik, who had moved into the apartment with him, started barking out of nowhere, waking him up. He looked up in time to see a picture him and his friend had taken at the beach slide off of the wall, crashing onto the ground. Donghyuck still remembered the chill that ran down his spine. However, this was not the only time this occurred. He would often wake up from naps to find cups or other decorations shattered on the ground.

He suddenly became heedful of everything happening around him; everything set him on edge. This is when he began to notice things he didn't before. Lights would get brighter and dim at random moments. Donghyuck could swear he heard breathing when he slept. Sometimes the temperature would unexpectedly drop for no apparent reason. Donghyuck swore, more than once, he saw shadows cross where nothing should be moving.

Donghyuck had never liked horror movies. They had always scared him so bad that he could not sleep. He was always terrified of the idea of something haunting him, watching him while he slept, murdering him. The life Donghyuck was living right now was a nightmare. He sat at a bar stool at his kitchen island drinking a cup of coffee in complete silence. He was scared to ever be loud anymore. He was scared that so many things could happen that he would be unable to hear. The lights above his head began to fluctuate between dimming and getting brighter. His coffee cup shivered in his hand.