September 5th, 1941 / Would They Spare Me?

The only people left in their family decided they wanted to bury them, which was almost impossible. There was a rumor that someone would be able to take the bodies and bury them somewhere. Nobody knew where somewhere was, just a few local Poles doing favors for some food.

I thank the kind people who risked their lives burying the bodies. The last time I saw the bodies was them cleaning the bodies with a wet cloth to wipe the blood away off their heads, or wherever else it was on their skin.

Was death truly that serene? What if I just ended it all? Would the Nazis even spare me then?

I wanted everything back to normal.

I want to go back to swimming in the creek with Margaret. Where is Margaret? Was she shot? A million thoughts raced through my mind as once, I couldn't bare to think I would never see Alec or Margaret again. They quietly moved the bodies as they left the apartment.

I stood there in the doorway, terrified. I would never see him again. What if he wasn't shot? Would we have dated? Married even? How could this happen? Why him, why not me? What if I intervened? At this moment I realized I truly did love Alec, but now it was too late.

I felt a grasp touch my shoulder and quickly turned my head to see my papa. I wanted to fall into his arms and just cry. The world had to be ending.