March 13th, 1943 / Deportations

this chapter is now being edited for clarity and historical accuracy

----

As I was filling out a paper, I overheard the sound of gunshots coming from outside. Josef quickly slid his hand under his desk, grabbing a few pieces of bread wrapped with a strand of paper. "Take this!" I grabbed the pieces of bread and broke them up as I pushed them into my pockets, taking a few pieces and putting them into my mouth. I somberly stood there as I looked at him for a moment, before he quickly shooed me away as he walked towards the door, "You'll be fine! There's no time to waste."

He walked out of the door as I followed behind him before we both separated our paths as he went in the opposite direction. I ran in between houses, stumbling my way through the dark alleyways. My blood ran cold as the click of a gun came from behind me. "Halt!" said a voice before I was quickly grabbed by the arm, "No use in running away." I was thrown into a line of people as I looked around, searching for my family. I pushed through the crowd of people, failing to find anyone I recognized. I slipped out of the back of the crowd of people before running as fast as I could through the alleyway.

I tripped over my feet as I ran up steps of my apartment building, speeding down the hallway and running into my apartment. I was shocked to see only my father, Irena, Nácek, and Dianka. "Where is everyone?" Nácek was hurriedly grabbing his things before looking over at me, "My family already left! Can you take Dianka?" I was about to protest before he yelled, "Please! She'll have more of a chance living if you take her!" I froze as he ran past me and through the hallway. I overheard guards walking through the hallway, throwing people out of their apartments. I ran into the bathroom to grab my bags, before walking over to Dianka and picking her up. Irena was fixing her braids as she held my father's hand before he said, "Elisabeth! Come grab my arm!"

I ran over and wrapped my arm around my papa's arm before we started running through the hallway. Dianka was crying as she hid her face into my shoulder, the gunshots hurting her small ears. We followed the crowd of people as we walked through the streets, unsure of where we were heading. As we were walking, an officer yelled at me, "Quiet that baby, or I'll do it for you!" I felt sick to my stomach. I knew this day would come eventually, but not this soon. What would I do with Dianka? I'm not her mother, and I am barely a caretaker.

My papa grabbed Dianka from me, holding her in his arms. He grabbed me by the shoulder as he whispered, "Move up the line, then when no guards are looking, run. They're taking us to our deaths, you must run Elisabeth." Immediately, I protested. In all honesty, I began to cry, "Papa, please. I can't do this without you." He shook me on the shoulder as he grabbed my cheek, "Even if I die, I will live if you do. My memory will live through you El!" I began to sob as I looked him in the eyes, "No! If you die, I will too." I glared towards the front of the line, realizing it was a scene similar to the ones of the deportations the months prior. My father sat Dianka down on the ground as she held my hand, holding her doll in the other.

"They're deporting us again," Irena grumbled, clutching my arm. My father whispered to the both of us, "Do you have your papers?" I nodded as I felt my pockets, before once again looking to the front of the line. I felt sick. It was as if someone was hitting my stomach with a hammer, over and over again. The line began to walk faster as I grabbed Dianka, pulling her up.
At the front of the line, guards were separating people into trucks.

Once we reached the front of the line, the guard looked at me for a moment before sending me to the left. I looked over, to see my father and my sister to the right. I realized that Josef was right. I was chosen to be sent to work, and my father and sister were too young or weak to work. The guard stopped me as I began to walk, "Wait." He pointed at Dianka, "Who's  inchild is that? You're much too young to have kids already." I shook my head, switching to German, "No. She's my friend's sister." He paused for a moment before asking, "You speak German?"