Chapter 4: Devising A Plan

Warning: mention of food

Word Count: ~ 2.500

______________________________________________________________

The Great Hall was already crowded when Charlie and Lizzie returned. It had been the first time Lizzie had been to the creatures reserve this year. She couldn't resist checking on all of their charges and the sun had almost gone down when they had started to make their way back.

Hagrid had been quite busy adding new arrivals. They were eagerly chatting about the new flock of Diricrawls they had encountered just as they had been about to leave. It had taken all of Charlie's efforts to prise Lizzie from their adorable antics.

Lizzie looked the Hufflepuff table up and down for where Rowan was sitting. Charlie noticed her searching look and nonchalantly put his arm around her shoulder, craning his head.

"So, who is this 'something like a date' person? Do I know them?"

She shook his hand off and rolled her eyes. "Do you even care if it's not a Norwegian Ridgeback?"

"Who do you take me for? Of course I do!" He waved at Bill who had kept a seat for him at the Gryffindor table. "Although, to be honest, not quite as much as if they were."

Having spotted her, Lizzie pointed to where Rowan was waiting. "See, that's my dinner date over there. If you don't mind, I'll go and spend my evening without any talk of dragons."

Charlie only laughed at that. "As if you're not loving it."

Lizzie hid her affectionate smile by turning her back on him and walking over to her house table. She passed Orion and McNully, who offered her a seat. She quickly shook her head, not even stopping.

"Not today, guys. Next time."

She heard McNully mutter a "That was about 63,7% unexpected.", and continued on.

When she walked past Penny, Skye and Tonks, who shifted on the bench to make room for her, she halted for second.

"Thank you, but don't mind me. I'm having dinner with Rowan today."

Penny arched her eyebrows. "So that's why she didn't want to sit with us. I was wondering what was going on." She gave Lizzie a sympathetic smile. "It will do you good to catch up a bit."

"I really hope so."

Lizzie took a step forward when Skye caught hold of her wrist. Surprised, Lizzie turned around again to see her suspicious glance towards the table where Charlie was goofing around with his brothers.

Knowing exactly what she was about to ask, Lizzie wrenched her arm free and put it against her hip.

"Skye, don't, I warn you," she glowered at her friend. "We have been working at the reserve, like so many times before. Get over it."

Skye was clearly not satisfied with Lizzie's answer, but said nothing, surprised at Lizzie's sharp tone. Angrily Lizzie walked on, letting herself fall into the seat facing Rowan.

Her friend was toying around with her fork. Lizzie noticed her plate was still empty. Her anger subsided instantly. Rowan had actually waited for her to start her meal. Feeling guilty for dallying, Lizzie blushed.

"I'm so sorry for keeping you waiting, you really should have started without me! I was looking at all the new creatures Hagrid brought in and forgot the time. Can you imagine, we have a whole flock of Diricrawls now, and some new Abraxans have joined the herd and- ", Lizzie noticed her rambling and willed herself to stop.